install wmp 9.0 build 3250

SimonSez07

with the release of wmp10 windows media player 9 for windows xp is no longer available for download from microsoft. if you happen to have the download (MPSetupXP.exe) from before it was taken down, you will notice that it is build 2980.

you can get the newer build (3250) only by installing windows xp service pack 2.

now if you have installed any of the following newer os's, you do not have windows media player 9 at all:

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (WMP10)

Windows Server 2003 w/ SP1 (WMP10)

Windows XP Pro N (no WMP)

now many people (myself included) dont like WMP10 and would rather use version 9, preferably build 3250.

it is pretty simple to remove wmp10 using XPlite, but installing wmp9 is the problem. if you try using MPSetupXP.exe after stripping out wmp10 it will say that it can not be installed on this version of windows. MPSetupXP.exe will install on XP Pro N but this is the older build anyway.

does anyone have any ideas on how to install on these systems?

thanks,

- simon

Check to see if XPLite removed this file. If so, replace the file and then try installing WMP9.

--------------------------------------------------

msdmo.dll <<<< **KEY FILE**

DO NOT DELETE "msdmo.dll". WMP9 does not install it, and it needs the one already installed on your system, or else it will not play...anything.

--------------------------------------------------

I discovered this about the msdmo.dll when I was once trying to remove WMP8 cleanly before installing WMP9.

Edited by Bold_Fortune

@Bold_Fortune

i checked and xplite does not remove the file you mentioned. xplite does an extremely impressive job of removing only the files and reg entries needed to remove one windows component without breaking any others. props to LitePC for that!

@boooggy

here is a screenshot of the error:

wmp_error.gif

it turns out that wmp setup is not throwing this error, but windows is. i guess there is a component in xp called "Application Compatibility User Interface" that will not allow you to install certain versions of certain programs that it recognizes to be incompatible.

i searched on google, and i was able to disable this compatibility checking by renaming c:\windows\system32\ahui.exe before running the setup. then wmp9 installed successfully! (build 2980)

and thanks for the wmp update links. unless each of these updates are cumulative, it looks like there are a lot of updates needed to bring wmp up to build 3250 or higher. is there a quick way to do this, or a way to slipstream the updates into MPSetupXP ?

@the_guy

where can i find this "update for XP N which adds the files removed" ? i may be able to use this on MCE like you were saying.

thanks for all the help

- simon

Edited by SimonSez07

@boooggy - thank you for the link

this update (KB886540) does contain Windows Media Player 9.0 build 3250 which is exactly what i was looking for.

now i am going to try to install this on XP MCE 2005 after i strip out all the windows media stuff with XPLite.

EDIT:

success! this update will install wmp9 build 3250 on MCE 2005. this was fairly easy. thank you all for your help

Edited by SimonSez07

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: DOES NOT WORK ON SERVER 2003. xplite not compatible with windows server 2003, so must use nlite to remove wmp10 from os before install. but then error when attempt to install update KB886540: "The updatebr.inf file is invalid."

any ideas on how to make wmp9 install. maybe manual install by placing wmp files and run regsvr32 for dll's?