Your advice-Windows 98se instability?

atticus

Hello,

I am having to reformat a windows 98se system around every 6 months or so! The main problem revolves around explorer issues. I use Firefox now but still have problems.

My question to you is what should I install after a clean windows 98se installation to make it more stable? Which internet Explorer? ect.

In the past I haven't applied anything new to the installation.

THANK YOU.

Todd

:hello: first off make sure u download internet explorer 6.0 sp1 then install gapes sp 2.02 a service pack designed to update your system to todays lastest tweaks patches etc it can be found here in the forum . direct x 9.0c id get that too. there a dozen people in here who will help ya tune your pc.

Problems with Explorer... I think I used to have problems with it when I used Win98... It seems that browseui.dll and browselc.dll form IE6 (both with or without SP1) has a problem: explorer starts taking over 1 minute to create, finalize copying and other operations. I read somewhere tha copying these two files from ie 5.5 solves everything (but you will not be able to turn on/off the "lock toolbar", so decide which one you prefer before replacing the files or you can search the net and find what key you nered to modify in the register to toogle the option)