Linksys WUSB54G - no go on XP SP2!

kz26

Hello, I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP Home SP2. Recently I bought a Linksys WUSB54G v4 USB 54G wireless adapter. The dongle's box blatantly claimed it was XP compatible, so I bought it. Well, now, I have the driver installed, and I've got the adapter plugged into a USB port. But it DOESN'T WORK! Windows detects the adapter fine, and even tries to connect to a network, but on DHCP the tray icon just keeps going back and forth without connecting. Sooner or later I get a "limited/no connectivity" error. Same thing when I try assigning a static IP. I also tried switching USB ports, reinstalling the driver, etc. but it stll doesn't work.

I'm getting a bit fed up, and am thinking of returning it. If anyone has any advice, give it quick before I return it...

I have a WRT54GS Speedbooster router. It works with my laptop, which has an integrated Atheros AR5004 mini-PCI card. Who said I was blaming my router? My router is just fine.

I'm pretty sure the problem is with the adapter. And yes, I did mention that I tried using a static IP, but that doesn't work either. The point is, I can't connect to my router with the WUSB54G.

sorry, i thought u were talking about the router. are you sure ur typing in the static ip stuff right? check ur laptop, go to run,cmd, ipcofig /all

then take that info and put the same onto the other comp but just change the ip address

Yes, I'm SURE I set the adapter's IP address correctly. The thing is, it won't connect to ANY NETWORK IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD. DHCP doesn't work either. So it's got to be something wrong with the adapter itself.

Bah... USB network adaptors. They're like some sort of plague...

Try uninstalling the device and all software, then reinstalling it as instructed. If that doesn't work, you might have got some faulty USB drivers from the bummed first installation. This procedure will clear all history of your USB devices, so Windows will have to re-recognize them when you next plug them in again, but they should work as normal.

- Right-Click My Computer and select Properties

- Under Hardware tab, click on Device Manager

- Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers

- Right-click every device listed and select Uninstall to remove them one at a time

- Reboot the computer

All the default drivers should install themselves upon startup. After that, install the Linksys drivers as normal and see if the device works. If it doesn't after that, then the device is faulty.

In future, get PCI or PCMCIA based wireless devices (if you can trade, do it). I've found nothing but problems with USB and wireless, whereas PCI/PCMCIA devices have been rock solid.