Patches/updates not installing...

p388l3s

Hi, Welcome back GreenMachine,

Have tried an install of the new XPCreate ( i think it was the version before 20 aug ) and the Highmat CD Wizard wasn't installed nor the .NET SP1, this was using a Gateway OEM XP Home SP1 cd, after the build completed i ran windows update and these 2 items required installing.

(EDIT: Ignore the Highmat one, i didn't have the Highmat fix i had Windows-KB890830-V1.7A-ENU.exe, you might want to check your autogenerate script for the webpage cos the highmat points to this instead )

Is this a known issue or just a quirk with my particular CD?

on a lighter note, i'm glad you haven't abandoned the XPCreate tool, of all the hotfix slipstreaming tools i feel that this one produces cleaner installs, although i have gotten addicted to running XPCreate ISO's thru Nuhi's nLite to clean out all the wasted junk that i don't require. Keep up the great work!

Cheers Mate!

:unsure:

PS i am trying a new build using the latest XPCreate from your site as i type this. i'll post back my findings

Edited by p388l3s

Ok an Update,

After putting the correct files in the right places no windows updates were found after install from the CD, the only thing that happens now is the Windows Genuine Advantage junk comes up first time, i can live with that, thanks GreenMachine for a most excellent tool, you may want to go over the code on your webpage for the patches ( i read somewhere while searching for this problem that you auto generate that page ) it seem's that a few of the links point to the wrong places.

Anyhow, looks like i'm good for now unless you know how to slip the WGA stuff into your installs too! ;)

Thanks

P388l3s

I also downloaded the 20 Aug 05 version... and it did not slip stream service pack 2. I have inclueded the xpcreate.ini file and the log file. the service pack 2 did not show up in the log file ... even though I did download it and put into "SPACKS" directory as per the FailSafe hotfix.

XPCREATE.zip

Hi DSchwenk,

I took a look at your log file and found

-- 10:57:37 -- Extracting Service Pack : WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 10:58:48 -- Merging Service Pack : WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

So it looks as if the SP was integrated successfully. What makes you think it did not work?

Also as noted above, some of the download links for the hotfixes are incorrect on the XPCREATE web site. For example, I noticed that you have the wmcsetup.exe

file in the SVC-WMP directory whereas you need mp10setup.exe in this directory.

I would also recomend that you keep the directory names short and without spaces (don't know whether this is neccesary or not to be honest).

PG

Thanks ... I'll check those other file locations... I thought that GM corrected all those files. ... maybe not...

I burned a CD and installed it .. then under system properties .. it said it was Service pack 1... I think it took all the hotfixes .. at least it looked like it under the Add Remove Programs .. it had a whole list of HF listed.

But why would it not have added the service pack?

would the 'wmcsetup.exe' have something to do with it?

Hmm, I am a newbie at this but interested in trying XPCREATE for myself.

I found something else a bit odd in your log file:

-- 11:10:01 -- Copy SP1.CAB.

TEMP\CABS\SP1\1394bus.sys

TEMP\CABS\SP1\61883.sys

TEMP\CABS\SP1\ac97ali.sys

etc

so I thought maybe your source CD was Windows XP with SP1. Can you confirm?

I'm not sure if the 'wmcsetup.exe' file could cause your problem. Seems unlikely. This is the Windows Media Connect extensions, quote from MS, "Windows® Media Connect enables you to deliver music, photos, and videos that reside on your Windows XP PC to devices that support the uPnP protocol".

The "mp10setup.exe" file is for Windows Media Player 10.

I thought that the hotfixes would not appear in add/remove programs as XPCREATE is supposed to fully integrate them into the Windows source. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

PG

My Source CD already has service pack 1 slipstreamed ...Oh yes ... I think I used a source CD from Dell as we have several of these laying around ... I thought aI heard some where that they might have modified some files or something.

I don't remember though. -- if this is the case maybe that is problem.. but I will check the file locations first... now I'am trying to find the 'mp10setup.exe' file I have not found it on the current hot fixes pages yet.

Thanks for all your help.

Peter,

I did have all the H Fixes hopefully in the right folders,, that probably installed, it was manly the service pack that I was concerned about.

I can't check it now because I re-imaged the test machine I was using,

I'll have to burn another CD now with the files in the correct locations ( I hope)

I can't wait until GM get's the commercal version up and running again .. so I can redue the whole thing automatically.

Thanks again for all your help.

DS.

@p388l3s: Bitfrotter is right: A place for everything, and if everything is in it's place, it should work fine ... WGA included.

@DSchwenk: PeterGau was on the right track. There were some files in the wrong place, but you fixed that. The log DOES say Service Pack 2 WAS slipstreamed, but it was not. Ideally, I would have a way to check that, but as I do not insist on a name for SP2 (or SP1), I would need to devise a way to know which SP it was. What happens is that the SP is extracted, and then slipstreamed (2 steps). The extraction (almost) always works, but the slipstream may error out, and I do not detect the error. Instead I assume it completed succesfully, which it does not in your case. There could be different reasons. The most likely is that the Dell CDs do not accept slipstream. Another example is trial versions of Windows Server 2003 that will not accept slipstreamed Service Packs either. I may try to find a way to read the Service Pack log file, but for now you should try to simply manage a SP2 slipstream by hand (see the Unattended Site for the command), and see the error message that appears (there usually is one).

As I am in the middle of yet another move, it will be at least next week before I update the links in the Current Hotfixes page (the file names and sizes ARE correct), and I still have no timetable for the download lists.

Good Luck!

Hi DSchwenk,

OK, I've done some more research on this and I was wrong :} . You should be a able to slipstream a service pack and hotfixes on an OEM windows source. But you cannot slipstream onto a source which already has had hotfixes added.

See MS article

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=887412

There is quite a lot of info about this subject on the web and I think you can sort it out if you use a clean Windows XP source disk (OEM or not).

There is also some talk that one or two files may have to be deleted from an OEM source - particularly the name Dell seems to crop up.

PG

@PeterGau @DSchwenk

Yes you are right in that you can't slip an oem disk that has hotfixes included, *UNLESS* you first go to the directory i386\svcpack and delete it and also the i386\svcpack.ini, then slip your spack into the edited source and then your good to go, i've done this several times at various businesses that i've worked at, works like a charm and always makes me look good to the permies! ;)

@Greenmachine

Yep your right it does help if i put everything in the right place, just the WGA stff left to get working but i'll have to wait until i need to rebuild a box here, to test that out.

Thanks for the replies guys!

P388l3s