Shortcut to a particular workgroup

Basje

Hi there!

I want to create a custom icon on the Desktop using namespaces. This icon's default action should be to open Windows Explorer at the location of the local workgroup, say "MSHOME". Does anyone know the command to launch Windows Explorer and directly open workgroup MSHOME?

The closest I got so far is this command to open My Network Locations:

%systemroot%\explorer.exe /e,::{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}

The problem is that a workgroup doesn't have a GUID and therefore I need another method to link to it. Any ideas?

Note: I know how to create an ordinary shortcut to a workgroup, but that is not what I'm asking for right now, since I need to be able to do this by editing the registry only.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Actually you need the CLSID, not the GUID that might make it easier to find.

Try this:

Create a new folder and name it:

Network Test.{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}

that folder will now become My Network Places because of the CLSID. A bit of digging on a few programming sites should give you the CLSID for the WorkGroup machine list (Computers Near Me) view level, just remember that your looking for the CLSID not the GUID.

Thanks for the replies. The problem has not been solved yet, though... :(

A bit of digging on a few programming sites should give you the CLSID for the WorkGroup machine list (Computers Near Me) view level, just remember that your looking for the CLSID not the GUID.
I have searched Google for several variatons of "CLSID Computers Near Me", but without any success. I really appreciate your example and the small correction, and will continue looking for the answer, but any hints you can give me on where to find it?
I think you can't point directly another workgroup different of you ...
I'm not trying to... ;)

What I want is to make Windows Explorer open in the computer's own workgroup. But still, if Windows is able to link to a workgroup with a single lnk-file, then I should be able to do that with the registry as well, don't you think so?

Thanks for the replies. The problem has not been solved yet, though... :(
A bit of digging on a few programming sites should give you the CLSID for the WorkGroup machine list (Computers Near Me) view level, just remember that your looking for the CLSID not the GUID.
I have searched Google for several variatons of "CLSID Computers Near Me", but without any success. I really appreciate your example and the small correction, and will continue looking for the answer, but any hints you can give me on where to find it?

Unfortunately no, at this point I'm also googling the hell out of the question (got me curious) with out any luck.

I know I've run across this before while working on a network browser control for a program I was writing...but I'll be **** if I can find it now.

...But I'll keep looking ;)

Still not resolved, but here's what I got so far:

%systemroot%\explorer.exe /e,::{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\Entire Network\

This opens the Entire Network instead of My Network Places which I posted before. Not what I want, but closer to what I want nonetheless. The strange part is that anything I try to add after this will result in an error saying

The path '::{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\Entire Network\Microsoft Windows Network\' does not exist or is not a directory.
So this seems to be a dead end.

I also found two lists (1,2) but none of the relevant options listed there work for me. Microsoft Network {00028B00-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} appears to be an invalid CLSID, Network Computers {1f4de370-d627-11d1-ba4f-00a0c91eedba} points to network search results (which is, of course, empty) and Network Connections {7007ACC7-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E} allows you to view properties of LAN connections but not the Windows Network. So nothing there either.

I wouldn't have guessed it would be this hard to accomplish this. :}

Perhaps someone knows of a different approach? :rolleyes:

But I'll keep looking ;)
Cool, thanks!