Wake On Lan across Internet

im attempting wol across internet. im using the utility from www.depicus.com

and i think my router is not letting the magic packet get through. i have a linksys wireless router and my firmware is 1.45.10, Apr 15 2004.

here is the info i am using with the wol utility.

mac address is mac of my lan card.

ip address is my cable modem ip address.

subnet mask is 255.255.255.255

and port number is a random port i chose and i forwarded that port to 192.168.1.255 in the router setup. i even tried 192.168.1.100 which is my static ip address.

i know that the packet is at least reaching my router. i have logging enabled and when i look at the traffic, it shows the port and the originating ip address. the thing is, i don't think the router is forwarding the magic packet.

so, does anyone know of a way i can trick my router into sending the magic packet? or does anyone know of a router that will work with wol over the internet?

So far as I know you can't perform WOL across a router without a relay. And unless you made a typo there is no way that your subnet mask is 255.255.255.255. Sending a WOL out is really nothing but a broadcast of the target machine's MAC, and broadcasts don't leave subnets.

Some of the management suites like HP's InsightManager, Intel LANDesk, etc. have their own solutions to this, but if you're using something like Dameware NT Utilities I don't know how you'd get around the problem.

well one solution i found is that my router will not support forwarding the "magic packet" to wake up my computer. my router blocks it automatically, or so i think.

there is another router that will do this, but it takes a 3rd party firmware. i could buy a more expensive router, but who wants to spend hundreds of dollars. www.sveasoft.com is the site that sells the firmware in case anyone wanted to know. they say that they can take the linksys router and give it all kinds of features and it would work almost just like a high end cisco router

• 2 years later...

It is not necessary to route "magic packet" on your router, "magic packet" is a just one of a packet you recieve from internet. Actually you should setup broadcast forwarding on some port (7 or 9, or any other you would like) that will broadcast all packets recevied from internet in you LAN. Then you can try internet wake-on-lan tool with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (or other, depend on your LAN settings, try see in you network card settings, TCP/IP configuration). Also you can try this service http://www.rshut.com/products/wol - it will automatically try to suggest your subnet mask, all you need is to enter IP and MASK. As an additional option you can schedule wake up on required time and date.

i used to have a setup like that years ago with my pc at home. I had a linksys 4 port router and linksys nic with WOL feature as well as the mobo had the WOL connection for the nic to plug into.

This is the setup as i remember it from back then:

I used a free dns/static ip service (no-ip.com)

I remember I had a command line utility that I could run from work in which i would type my dns name provided by no-ip, ie: myftp.ceez.com

My router was configured to fwd that particular port (7 or 9) to the internal network ip address of my pc, ie: 192.168.1.100

My pc would magically wake up! oh it was awesome, complete controll over my pc! :)

Now I do remember something that was ticking me off....I was first trying it by turning my computer off, you CANT turn it off, it has to be on standby (or was it hibernate?!?!) for it to work.

hope this helps,

ceez

ps- now that i checked out depicus, i think that's the cmd line tool i was using! works like a charm.

Edited by ceez