Network Places Freeze

KayBee

I hope somebody can help with this problem,

I have 2PCs and a laptop, Primarily I wanted to be able to link the laptop to either PC and maybe ultimately network all three. I bought a couple of LNEPCI 2 (Linksys) combo Lan cards for the PCs. Not having any spare money for a hub I cut a straight through RJ45 line in two and re-connected it 1-3 2-6 3-1 6-2. This works O.K. with my own home-made ASUS P5A-B machine, but only one way with the other store-bought Medion MD2000 machine. I can display the shared folders on this machine, but when I try to access them 'My Network Places' freezes up. I can access files on this P.C. with the laptop.

All machines are running ME and I checked that all the required Clients/adapters/Protocols are present.

Thanks KayBee.

• 2 months later...

I have a laptop running windows 2000 Professional and a PC running XP Home. I have connected them with a x-over cable and I am able to ping each other. The problems begin when I try to share both folders. Although the sharing permissions are OK, whenever I try to access a subdirectory from XP into 2000 or viceversa, XP gets freezed (and sometimes even 2000). The funny thing is that sometimes XP get freezed at the 1st level, sometimes at the 2nd or even at the 3rd... .

I have solved by connecting both computers via Netmeeting and sending files using its built-in feature. It works just perfect, except for the fact that Netmeeting is optimized for Internet and therefore is very slow (300MB in 10 minutes), but at least it works...

I still would like to share folders the usual way,so If anybody has a tip I would appreciate.

Thanks,

muhahaha

Yeah, sometimes the :assshake gets the better of me.

Big Booger

But seriously, he/she needs to get the upgrade, or full version of XP PRO or HOME. It will save you heaps of worries and system crashes.

But to address your problem have you mapped the drives? Another thing, take yourself about 8 bucks US, and get a crossover cable or a direct serial cable. These are very cheap and the easiest way to connect two PC's. If you are really desperate. Setup an FTP and send it back and forth over the net. If you are dealing with large files and want the fastest speed, again I suggest the serial/crossover cable.

Big Booger