Custom Win98SE setup scripts (infs)

Hi all,

Over the past few years I have been slowly customizing the setup files (inf's) that come with Win98SE to modify how it is installed on my system. I realized that some of my work might be useful to others so I decided to pull it together into a single package and make it available to those who might be interested.

For background on what I have done and how these custom scripts work I have a readme text file here:

http://64.213.216.19/pcss/readme.txt

If you decide you want to experiment with these scripts, you can download them here:

http://64.213.216.19/pcss/pcss.exe

Warning: This is a big (13Meg) file and a slow unreliable link.

All the best,

Pete

PeteK27;

Great job! I can see alot of work went into this project.

Tested the scripts with cabs from a Product Type 1 disk and a Product Type 9.

Product Type 1 went like clockwork. Produced about an 60Mb Windows.

Product Type 9 had an error related to license.txt right after first boot.

Extracted license.txt into windows\help dir. and pidgen.dll, pidset.exe into windows dir., restarted.

Product Key screen flashed briefly and OS shut down.

Merged into the registry 5 keys(ProductId, ProductKey, RegisteredOrg., RegisteredOwner and DigitalProductId)

setup restarted and completed successfully.

tentonine,

I was aware (or at least suspected) that there were slightly different versions of the Win98SE setup disks. Unfortunately I only have access to one so I was not able to test my package against some of the other versions. However I think I might know where the problem is.

Before you begin to run setup, try replacing setupc.inf with this file:

http://64.213.216.19/pcss/setupc.inf

Hopefully this will correct the problem.

BTW, do you know how many variations there are of the Win98SE setup disks and what the differences might be?

wizy,

Regarding integrating in the service pack, option pack, etc, I agree that this would be the logical next step. I have looked over the service pack a little but haven’t really worked much with it.

Ideally it would be nice to be able to slipstream the service pack in prior to running setup. However I suspect that if you did this right now it would probably fail because my package uses the Win95 shell rather than the Win98 shell. Therefore the service pack will (at minimum) probably have to be modified to remove any Win98 shell components or my package modified to add back in the Win98 shell.

However right now I plan to use my rather limited amount of time to concentrate on shaking out any bugs and adding critical features that are needed to make this a functional package. But if you decided to test my package with the SP, OP, etc I would be interested in knowing what problems you ran into. Even if I can't address them right now, your comments may help out in the future.

Pete

PeteK27;

Tried the new setupc.inf, didn't help.

I made these edits to setuppp.inf and was able to get setup to run and complete as normal.

[data]
sys_registry = system.dat
user_registry = user.dat
minboot  = 1500000
minboothost = 1500000
DiskPad  = 10:42000000   ; Can list multiple LDIDs and values.
AveSystemDat = 2000000
AveUserDat = 200000
ProductType = 9
;UPI  = 24264-XXX-XXXXXXX

[DestinationDirs]
setup.files.inf = 17
win.copy        = 10
help.copy       = 18

[BaseWinOptions]
infs

[infs]
CopyFiles       = setup.files.inf, win.copy, help.copy

[win.copy]
pidgen.dll

[help.copy]
license.txt

[setup.files.inf]
;>  device driver setup
setup.inf,setuppp.inf

I'm only familiar with Product Type 1 and 9 but this site http://www.easydesksoftware.com/setuppp.htm says there are types 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 9.

tentonine,

Nice work! It looks like you have hacked some of these setup files before.

I going to remove my previously modified setupc.inf and instead post a version of setuppp.inf that includes your changes. If you can, please look it over and make sure I didn’t miss anything.

http://64.213.216.19/pcss/setuppp.inf

Just out of curiosity, did you try to use your modified setuppp.inf with your type 1 disk? What I am wondering is whether there needs to be different setuppp.inf’s for each type of setup disk or if it is possible to come up with one version that will work with all types.

Looking at the web site you pointed me at, I’m guessing that the Type 1 disks are the “retail” version of Win98SE and the Type 9 disks are the OEM version (shipped with a new computer). Based on the disks that you have, does this sound correct?

Also, is anyone else running something other than a ProductType 1 or 9? I think you should be able to check this by opening the file setup.inf in c:\windows\inf and looking for the keyword “ProductType” under the [data] section.

On a more general note, once you got things up and running did you have any major problems? I am particularly interested in whether you were able to use dialup networking successfully. I don’t have a modem so I was never able to check this.

I have a computer that is only used for testing things out in virtual machines. Ill play around with my copy of 98se install and the various service packs and option packs they have here to see what happens tonight.

tentonine,

Nice work!  It looks like you have hacked some of these setup files before.

I've have also been working on something like this for several months, but I'm doing a complete removal of all IE core files.

After further testing with a new setup directory it looks like the section in setuppp.inf

[help.copy]

license.txt

Should be changed to;

[help.copy]

license.txt,lic_help.txt

I've also been able to test against an Type 2 product (upgrade cd).

The modified setuppp.inf seems to work with Type 1, 2 and 9, but I'll be doing more extensive testing this weekend.

As to the question of dial-up networking, It will be a few days before I can test it.

PeteK27;

Tried to do some testing of Dial-up, but ran into a few problems.

I was using an old P200MMX machine with some isapnp cards(sound, modem) neither card detected.

I noticed your modified machine.inf has isapnp support removed so I copied the original over it.

After the install I found it also needed machine2.inf to fully complete the setup.

Both cards were then detected, but the legacy part of the sound card was still not detected.

Some software that I've successfuly used after install:

Portable Firebird

Portable Thunderbird

Burn At Once (After Installing ForceASPI17)

Office97 Standard

7-zip

foobar2000

easyclean

Norton Disk Doctor

Norton Speedisk

Wackget

Kerio PF 2.1.5

Liteshell

Hi tentonine,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your previous posts.

>Tried to do some testing of Dial-up, but ran into a few problems.

You are correct in noticing that I removed much of the support for ISA cards. While they should still work if you manually install the drivers, I took out most of the PnP stuff .

If I remember correctly there are two parts to putting it back in. The first, which you found, is the isapnp enumerator (driver). This is normally in MACHINE2.INF. If your ISA card is PnP enabled the isapnp enumerator should make sure Windows detects it and kicks off the normal PnP driver install routine.

Most ISA cards were not PnP enabled (they often predated Win95) and need to be detected manually. The file MSDET.INF directs how this was done. However since the process of scanning for usually nonexistent hardware can add several minutes to the installation time and increases the risk of a system crash, I removed most of the instructions. If you revert back to the original version of MSDET.INF I suspect your sound card might be detected properly.

I’m a bit torn on how much of this support I want to add back in. As I am sure you remember, ISA cards were usually a royal pain to get installed properly with all the IRQ conflicts, etc. Are ISA cards still that common? Do you think this support needs to be added back in?

BTW, you've probably already found it but I also posted a zip file containing original copies of the Win98SE inf’s sorted into various directories. I’ve found it makes troubleshooting a little easier. You will find it here:

http://64.213.216.19/pcss/Win98SE%20master%20infs.zip

>The modified setuppp.inf seems to work with Type 1, 2 and 9, but I'll be doing more extensive testing this weekend.

This is good news. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to maintain several versions of setuppp.inf. I’ll add it into the main package in the near future. I would do it now but I would like to wait and see if I get anymore feedback. I prefer posting any changes all at once.

PeteK27,

>Sorry for the delay in responding to your previous posts.

Not a problem, Real life has been forcing itself on me since tuesday.

Major car problems (2003 Saturn VUE), and oldest son talking to recruiter's haven't left me with much time.

Also after working with your inf's I got a few ideas and did some work on my own project.

>While they should still work if you manually install the drivers, I took out most of the PnP stuff.

Yes, I was able to install the modem, but I always had to install an additional com port to attach the modem to and it stays visible in device manager under the ports section. I think this is just cosmetic, but doesn't look as clean.

>Do you think this support needs to be added back in?

I think it depends on what kind of response you get to the project, and if anybody else post that they need it.

For my own use my modem is always in a linux box that I use to share out the connection, I just pulled it out and put it another box to test Dial-up. So for me it doesn't matter.

• 8 months later...

PeteK27 / tentonine,

I came across this thread while looking for an alternative to nLite that catered to users of win9x, currently nLite only supports Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

After reading your posts there's probably enough information here ( I haven't downloaded the packages or inf files or anything yet, waiting for my 98b disc to turn up first hehe ) to accomplish my goals but I'm very interested in this idea.

Do either of you have any information since these posts concerning your own respective projects? I'm really interested in this topic and would like to learn what you guys' projects are / were and their purpose as I too of course have an ongoing project of similar nature and am simply curious as to the function of what you've built.

Skrib

The goal is just a slimmed down install of win98 without IE or the IE core files. This is similar to the commercial product

98Lite, but free. It's accomplished by editing the setup info files to remove what is unwanted from the install.

A good starting point would be to download the files listed in the first post. PeteK27 has commented the changes in the

info files and it helps to better understand the changes.

Also take a look at this thread http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...st=0entry8591

on how to make some changes to setupx.dll.

tentonine:

Thanks for your reply. From what I've read 98Lite is used *after* the Windows 98 installation, correct? Does the method here apply the changes to the installation files *before* install or does it slim down an already installed Windows?

My goal is nearly the same as nLite - There are many things installed with Windows that are unnecessary for my needs and instead of removing them after the install I wish to exterminate their presence on the installation CD and from the ini/inf files that link to them so that I can then inject software installations into the CD and finally script everything (Windows and all my Apps) to use silent installs / unattended installs so as to have a one-stop recovery in the case of a complete disaster.

Not sure at this point what all I want removes as I forget what all is included, but anything I don't use or isn't a shared file by the things that I do use I would like to remove, as well as every driver that comes on the disc and replace them with only the drivers for my hardware.

Thanks again for your reply.