Can't find NTLDR - How do i get it to work

Darude1234

Hi,

On my Multiboot-DVD I have:

Windows 95/98/ME/2000 Professional / 2000 Adv. Server / XP Home and XP Pro

and some other tools. But the problem is that when I boot the Windows XP install, Windows XP won't stop saying NTLDR is missing.

I found this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q314057

They say that i have to copy some system file to my harddrive. But when i normally install XP (from the cd) I don't get this error and never copied these files to my harddisk.

Somewhere else on this forum they said it's an error in the creation of the Multibootable DVD. But where on my DVD, do I have to look to solve this problem? :wacko:

Ruud.

Did you edit your bootloaders (changed I386 to whatever) and also the txtsetup.sif properly? That was the solution for me a week ago ;)

Yes, I edited them and also checked them, but I will check it for a 3rd time

You also have to hex edit setupldr.bin and you do have your boot files in a foloder at the root of your disk I assume?

I suppose you could use Windows XP PowerPacker to create a windows XP load for your disk. As long as you are using cdshell for your menu. All you will manually have to do is add the entry into your boot menu. In the cdshell.ini file. Also another thing to make is to make sure you have these files copied to your disk...

WIN51

WIN51IP (Only if it is a Professional disk)

WIN51IP.SP2 (Only if it is a Professional disk with SP2)

WIN51IC (Only if it is a Home disk)

WIN51IC.SP2 (Only if it is a Home disk with SP2)

You also have to hex edit setupldr.bin and you do have your boot files in a foloder at the root of your disk I assume?

I suppose you could use Windows XP PowerPacker to create a windows XP load for your disk. As long as you are using cdshell for your menu.  All you will manually have to do is add the entry into your boot menu. In the cdshell.ini file. Also another thing to make is to make sure you have these files copied to your disk...

WIN51

WIN51IP (Only if it is a Professional disk)

WIN51IP.SP2 (Only if it is a Professional disk with SP2)

WIN51IC (Only if it is a Home disk)

WIN51IC.SP2 (Only if it is a Home disk with SP2)

Yes I Hex Edit them. But now I think what the problem is. A tutorial i got from a computer magazine (about how to create a multibootable dvd), say the following:

Open in Windows Explorer, folder AIO-DVD and remove all of the following files:

- Unattend.txt

- txtsetup.si_

- setupldr.bi_

and all the BAK-files. You have to remove these files, because you often get problems with these files.

Do I realy have to remove these files, because I think that's the problem, or not?

Alright, after 2 hours reading 10 lines! over and over again i saw that i edited the setupldr.bin but forgot to edit the bootsector PRO1.dat and HOM1.dat. These files have to be edited on a similar way. So I thought, I already edited them.

Stupid me :} So Trooperman was right :thumbup

Thank you all for your help :hello:

Edited by Darude1234

Alright, after 2 hours reading 10 lines! over and over again i saw that i edited the setupldr.bin but forgot to edit the bootsector PRO1.dat and HOM1.dat. These files have to be edited on a similar way. So I thought, I already edited them.

Stupid me  :} So Trooperman was right  :thumbup

Thank you all for your help  :hello:

Hi,

I've got a collection of MSDN DVD's so I thought it would be a great idea to compile a set of OS'es that I use frequently into a single DVD.

I followed the intructions at http://flyakite.msfnhosting.com/, with the following excpetions:

1) instead of using the name "PRO1" for Win XP Pro, I used "xpp2" (I've made sure this is consistent for all files that need corresponding changes)

2) instead of naming the root "AIO-DVD", I used "dvd"

I thought these are trivial stuffs but when I tried booting the resulting .iso with MS Virtual PC, I got an error saying: "CDBOOT: NTLDR is missing".

What have I done wrong? Must the name be "PRO1"?

Pls help... :wacko:

Another question:

In which directory NTLDR is supposed to reside in the DVD layout (as in http://flyakite.msfnhosting.com/mydvdlayout.htm)?

AIO-DVD
|
|----- (1) PRO1
|
|----- SETUP
        |
        |----- XP
                 |
                 |----- Professional
                          |
                          |----- (2) i386

In (1), (2), or?

In my casem NTLDR is only present in (2)

I've got a NTLDR in i386 and in PRO1.

and maybe it's the same problem as i had.

Did you correctly edit the SETUPLDR.BIN and PRO1.dat?

Hmmm... I've created the PRO1 exactly as described in flyakit.msfnhosting.com. Why didn't I get the NTLDR in it.. Did u do anything different?

Anyway, let me try manually copying it from i386 and see how it goes.

Will post again.. Thanks, Darude1234!