Converting an Internal HDD to Usb drive

Hi,

I'm going to switch over to a new system pretty soon n so i just wanted to convert my existing 20gig HDD into a usb drive if possible n use it for data transfer.......

Is it possible to that on my own i mean.......... I do know abt such kits being avilable out there but i just wanted to save some money.......

Any n all help appreciated...........

Anomaly

Yes, very easy. Just get USB drive enclosure, remove drive from computer and install it in usb box. Plug it in and windows will recognize it as another drive. Couldn't be easier.

I use one like this... doesn't have a enclosure box, so it is easy to plug in any IDE drive and use as USB.

http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.asp...01935&kbid=1091

Edited by dman

Hey thx for that quick response.........

But is it possible to put together a few cables like those buses we use in the cpu cabinet n using some intermediates u know some sorta handicraft.........

hehehehe..........

i'm trying to cut out so much cost........ I'll try a little googling as well

thx again

Since i've startd the topic i'll ask some other things too I gues..

Its abt the new system i intend to build.....

Well lemme put a few things here b4 asking for any suggestions...

I wish this system to work fine for the next 2 yrs.

Wot this system will be used for :gaming,music,movies,programming,Design softwares(like Ideas) n the internet of course...

To be able to upgrade l8r i wish to go for AMD 64 3000+ as it has the 939 socket n AMD will perhaps continue with this for some time......(cost was also a fator )

But then being in India, AMD is still expensive out here (as compared to prices at Newegg) . So the Intel procesor i decided upon is

intel Pentium 4 530 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Processor Model BX80547PG3000E

so i need ur advice regarding the processor to go for.............

the AMD one is 1.8 gigs,512 kb L2 cache,but then its a 64 bit processor arnd $140

Intel P4 is 3.0 gigs,1mb L2 cache,arnd $187 i guess

Cost wise AMD is almost final but i want to compare is the performance of the two......

Any suggestions........

Thx ringfinger but that didnt help much coz there wasnt an entry for Amd64 3000+ Venice core(939 pins......)

Considering i go for the AMD 64 3000+ Venice core 939 pin processor

Pls suggest a mother board....... i want a non SLI board.........but one with a

Pci -ex 16x slot for the graphics card.

I was thinking abt going for ASUS A8N-E(if i find it in the market here)..........along with 1gig of Ram Kingston i guess..

any other suggestions........

thx

Edited by the_anomaly

As far as the mobo I wouldn't be of much help. I am actually in the process of building my first machine right now. However, I went with the ASUS P5WD2 Premium, socket 775 intel board. I'm going for an intel based system. I would just do some googling and keep checking back here for an answer on a suggested mobo. We have some very informative people here :) Sry I don't know more about AMD boards....