Slow Startup!

steinrf

Hi!

I have a really slow startup. I`ve had this before and fixed it but I don`t remember how.

Xp starts up and it looks like everything is ok, until I hit the startbutton and try my DSL connection. This causes everything to hang, and the startmenu cant be reached for about a minute.

By looking at the taskmanager it seems that only 1/3 og the processes are started when this happens.

Anyone understand what I mean.

AND does anyone have the sollution?

Thanks,

S.

run adaware 6 and remove spyware.

what firewall are you using and what anitvirus? what version of Office? these take time to start and will slow you down, no matter which you use. id remove spyware first then see how things are.

make sure you have plenty of free HDD space too and defrag regular!

someone else will have other ideas, but i cant say much more than that really unless i know what services and things are loading at startup.

DSL requires a user and password login. I had DSL for a few months and it drove me nuts the locking up.

I never found a easy fix except disabling auto login and then having to click connect on my own.

Ill do some research on this and see if a newer fix has been found as I have been on cable for a few months now

I`ve disabled antivirus. Im using the built-in xp-firewall

I`ve tried adaware.

My dsl connection is NOT set to autologin.

I have the office-xp (which I have used without problems before)

It seems to me that the startup stops for some reason. It might be some process that is slowing it down

Whem I open the task manager right after the desktop appears it shows about 20 processes and uses only 4% of the cpu. After about one minut the rest of the processes appear and the startupbutton and my dsl-connection can be started.

I thougt someone knew about problems similar to this and had some "magik"fix...

S.

I have several things starting up when looking in msconfig.

anyone who know if anyone is killing me ?:

DAP

dumprep 0 -k

evntsvc

Grxp4exe

TBPanel

Qttask

NvCpl

Nwiz

ElbyCheck

Clonecdtray

msgplus

"blank"

"blank"

"blank"

ctfmon

hotsync manager

Dont know if this helps anyone...

Should I delete any of the above and if so which?

thanks for your help.

S.

Ive had a look and closed down some startups, but still have the problem.

I think its very strange that I can open the taskmanager during the startup and see that the cpu load is almost zero and still the system is running only about 20 processes and after a minute the rest (about 14 more) kick in. If something was loading and was slow and large it would show up on the cpu-load. seems like nothing is going one during this waiting time but suddenly it kicks in. Just like there was a timer...

I have posted this on another forum to and there 4 or 5 people reported to have the same thing in xp.

still no sollutions though

S.