Networking 2 WinXPro PCs?

sidefx

My brother and I share an Internet Connection via Linksys BEFSR41 router.

I am trying to setup file sharing on both our pcs.

I can see my pc and shares under My Network Places and I can see his PC however I cannot access his pc.

He cannot see my pc and obviously therefore cannot access me either. Also when he goes to My Network Places, he isn't even seeing his own shares.

I had him do the same steps as I did to enable my file sharing but obviously he's experiencing problems.

Any and all suggestions are greatly welcome.

check to see if you are both a part of the same workgroup (usaually just called 'WORKGROUP') Do this by right clicking on 'my computer' and then going to properties. Under the 'computer name' tab it will say what workgroup you are a part of. if they arent the same, click change on one and change it to make them the same. This may help B)

The easiest way to fix this is to enable the guest account on both PC's.

Start/Run: lusrmgr.msc

Go into the Users section and double-click the Guest account. Uncheck the box that says "Account is disabled". Ckick the OK button to confirm.

That's it, you should be able to access each others shares just fine now. Hopwever, you do open up some security holes by enabling the Guest account. But you should be safe behind the linksys router.