Problem with two XP SP2 hotfixes and DLL cache?

Munkaboo

Okay I can't for the life of me figure out what the heck is wrong.

www.awhitemunk.com/KB901214.log

Here's a log of me trying to install one of the SP2 hotfixes.

I used an SP2 slipstream using nlite and also put in one of the hotfix packs that it said was recommended.

Somebody suggested that I try sfc /scannnow, but when I put in the disc so it can replace some DLLcache files it ignores the fact that it's in there and keeps asking for the XP Professional SP2 disc. For the record, I have tried manual, web, and auto update for these two hotfixes.

I really don't want to have to format again, so if you could help that would be awesome.

Edited by Munkaboo

• 11 months later...

Somebody suggested that I try sfc /scannnow, but when I put in the disc so it can replace some DLLcache files it ignores the fact that it's in there and keeps asking for the XP Professional SP2 disc. For the record, I have tried manual, web, and auto update for these two hotfixes.

Hello,

No feedback on that one ? How to recreate/refresh DLLcache ?

The process never recognizes the right CD or right directories, even after modification in the registry of SourcePath and ServicePackSourcePath according to updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html .

Is there a way to rebuild DLLcache from a nlited XP ?

Thanks.

Next time don't disable SFC, it's whole purpose is to....disable SFC and dllcache.

You may try sfc /PURGECACHE then sfc /SCANNOW.

Be sure to have nlited cd in the drive.

When it asks for cd and it is still in just click cancel yes.

But if it reports name of a cd blank like: Please insert (blank) and press any key...then report it here.

Ok thanks but I did not make a CD of Nlited XP.

I have the Nlited files/directories on hard disk, and assigned a drive letter with subst.exe, after correction of source path in the registry.

This does not work and I don't understand why, but may be this has nothing special with Nlite.

example:

• subst.exe X: D:\XP_Nlite
    subst.exe S: D:\XP_service_pack (extracted files of course)
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]
    "SourcePath"="X:\\"
    "ServicePackSourcePath"="S:\\"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
    "SourcePath"="X:\\"

If you think with a CD it should better work, I trust you, but I will never understand the difference with the files on HD with relevant registry information.

Thanks anyway.