MS VIRTUAL PC 2004 > SLOOOOW?

Hi Folks,

I'm using MS Virtual PC 2004 to test my unattendeds and I would like to know what your opinion is about the program and more particular the time it takes to do an unattended install.

My unattendeds consist of XP PRO SP2 + 100 MB of apps which are automatically run by means of the runonce thingie.

Now here's the issue > when I do an unattended install on some pc, it takes nearly 30 minutes to complete the task. After thatall is set and done.

When testing it using Virtual PC it takes more than 3 hours. I never had any performance related issues in the past or whatsoever. Now I can't clearly recall what time it took me back then, lets say 2 years ago, but I certainly can't remember spending so much time solely on running an unattended install in conjunction with Virtual PC 2004.

Is it common for unattended installs using Virtual PC 2004 to eat away 3 hours?

I've checked with my twinbro who uses the program too and he said he thought it was common. Now I'd like to know whether some of you also bump into this matter pretty much the same way as I do.

Regards Peter

Ps hope my message come true, if not please ask for more info. Love and peace to all of you and keep up da good work this hangout is the best in and of its kind! :thumbup

I'm using MS Virtual PC, and my installation takes cca 55min. (just windows xp)

But I'm using unattended image from hdd, not burned on cd/dvd.

Many people prefer vmware but for me MS Virtual PC works better.

Edited by Bas

I just installed VMWare and it runs like a comet! Exactly 0.54 I started the installation of the HDD image and right now at this moment I have about 12 minutes to go. Something must have been wrong with my configrution of Virtual PC but alas....VMWare rocks the cradle as well.

I have DirectConnect running and downing I have Bittorrent runnng and downing, Zonealarm, Noddie (antivirus), Media Player is playing my songs and some 5 Firefox windowz are opened and hey here I am messaging.....

Thanks for the tip!!!

Peter

Ps well I'll be damned > its already rebooting now sooooopa faaast!!! :thumbup

> app. 26 minutes it takes to install Xp and all of the added apps about 100 MB. F*cking fast!!

Edited by CaptainCrash

most of it is Fridge-Raider's work... i'm just slowly but surely going through it and editing it to my needs...

but yeah my install works fine and functions properly there is just some things i need on it that fridge doesnt :) (so i think the size will be going up from about 175)

you should check out clint's install he made on his 8cm xp cd project lol

its in the same topic as fridge raider's

Links:

Fridge-Radier's Post and his Last Settings.ini, Tweaks & Cleanup script

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=52357

Clint's Screenshot of his 8cm project

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=52357&st=60#

Edited by Ðrзω™

Yes. VMWare work about 8 times faster than Virtual PC.

I test both on PC 333Mhz with 256Mb. I give 128Mb to for usage for Virtual WinXP pro.

All the same. Same computer. Same weather. lol

And Virtual PC takes about whole Night. Precise 10 hours.

In VMware in 1.5 hours.!!!