Do I Realy need a Page file

krismark

I think that it depend on software, even with w gig of ram some games use the paging file, but It sure that in windows you will not needed it. Why not use a memory manager with automatic page file configuration, you will see how much it use paging file with different application...

Windows still continues to use a pagefile. It is documented in one of the MS KB articles ... you should look there for detailed info.

Also, you will not gain any speed, if that's what you think.

Every version of windows since 95 was designed to use a swapfile/pagefile.

Getting your kernal out of there and into ram however will greatly increase performance. I found the following tweak on the internet. It definitely works.

Memory Performance Tweak

These Settings will fine tune your systems memory management -at least 256MB of ram recommended, 512 preferred for first tweak.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \

Session Manager \ Memory Management

1.DisablePagingExecutive -double click it and in the decimal put a 1 - this allows XP to keep data in memory now instead of paging sections of ram to harddrive.

2.LargeSystemCache- double click it and change the decimal to 1 -this allows XP Kernal to Run in memory improves system performance a lot.

3.Create a new dword and name it IOPageLockLimit - double click it and set the value in hex - 4000 if you have 128MB of ram; or set it to 10000 if you have 256MB; set it to 40000 if you have 512MB of ram, or more.

This tweak will speed up your disk cache

I use this a lot and it really DOES help.

Hands OFF the page file.

Cheers,

Andromeda43

Some games doesn work without pagefile, ive tried an experiment with my bro on a 3gigDDR400 Kingstone PC and it doesnt wanna work, so u must know that some games cant work without it.

I learned my lesson about messing with the windows swapfile/pagefile a long time ago.

Experience is the best teacher. :yes:

Now, the only time I do anything with it is to Delete it just before I do my Ghost backups. I also delete the old Restore files and all the temp files, cookies, histories, etc. That keeps the size of the Image file down by almost a gig.

Then when Windows XP reboots, it just re-creates the pagefile. No fault,,,No foul. :thumbup

Please take my word for it, and just leave it alone.

Cheers!

Andromeda43