Remote desktop suddenly stopped working

ardi

I have been using Remote Desktop for several years, and it has saved me countless hours and miles of travel. I use it mostly to help other friends with their software problems. Now I need help.

The feature just stopped working, but only in one direction. I can log on to my computer from their machine, but I can't get on to their machine from my own. I have tried switching my computer, bypassed my own LAN, checked all the settings I know about, even called the Roadrunner help to see if they had done something.

I'm really stumped. Could I have a problem with the operating system (XP-Pro), and would a "repair" fix anything? Since none of my other computers can connect either, it doesn't seem likely.

TIA, ardi

RDP should work on XP PRO as long as the following are set

It is checked under system properties -> remote tab

User accounts that are used to log on have passwords set

If the machine you are trying to access is behind a firewall, port 3389 must be forwarded to the computer.

Terminal Services services is running on the machine you are trying to access.

If you are accessing it via DNS try accessing it via IP address

Those are the only settings I have ever checked anybody else know of any others that are necessary to run Remote Desktop

I have been using Remote Desktop for several years, and it has saved me countless hours and miles of travel. I use it mostly to help other friends with their software problems. Now I need help.

The feature just stopped working, but only in one direction. I can log on to my computer from their machine, but I can't get on to their machine from my own. I have tried switching my computer, bypassed my own LAN, checked all the settings I know about, even called the Roadrunner help to see if they had done something.

I'm really stumped. Could I have a problem with the operating system (XP-Pro), and would a "repair" fix anything? Since none of my other computers can connect either, it doesn't seem likely.

TIA, ardi

This might sound stupid, but did they accidentally disable it on their machine? :}

Not stupid at all, gamehead200. Like checking that the computer is plugged in.

And chilifrei64 that is a good checklist. In one case I set up a LAN and it could be that the router's firewall isn't letting me in. Some of the other machines don't make sense yet, but thanks for the suggestions.

ardi

With RD, you can connect to any machine for which the following conditions are met:

1) It's running XP Pro or a server OS with RD/TS enabled

2) It has no firewall blocking the necessary port to connect (3389)

3) You have a username/password for that computer

It can be on a LAN, through a VPN or over the internet. It makes no difference (with the exception that over the internet is potentially less secure).

Two of the two computer behind Network Address Translation = No connection possible

This is untrue. All but one of my clients use NAT and a Corporate firewall and I access them from one to the other all the time. Even on non-corporate firewalls. I have always been able to make this type of connection possible. What is your source? The only place where it doesnt work is actually on one of my clients where I filter the RDP protocol with the use of a Proxy server. But this is also me explicitly denying these types of connections.

Edited by chilifrei64

You guys are really helpful! Thanks.

I have one RD with a new LAN/router so I have to open port 3389. On another I installed SP2 and just learned that the SP2 firewall closes 3389 by default. Another one has not installed SP2, and RD is still working (the old windows firewall apparently isn't blocking RD). So one by one I'll get them all turned on again.

Even though I haven't actually got them running, I'm confident that the problem is just the closed port. Unfortunately, some of these machines are a long way away and I have to either go there or talk the users through the process (groan).

OK, New Question: Can I use RD with a dial up ISP? I have an old gentleman who needs a lot of help, but he is on dial up. Does his IP change every time he gets online? Could he get on, find the IP, and then let me know what it is at that time? Anyone have any experience with dial up IP's?

ardi

Edited by ardi

you could do it that way.. he would have to get you his IP address but then yeah it will work I have done this with my sister how forbids to get a highspeed internet connection.... The hardest part is walking through the user on how to get the ip address taht you can use

.............also it is really slow...............