Which version of Server 2003 to use a Workstation?

really you could use any... but since a workstation is scaled down alot compared to a Server you would want to use the mose scaled down version of Server OS which would be Standard.. unless you want to use your workstation as a web server or a massive SQL Server or have more than like 5 processors...

Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, is designed specifically for dedicated Web serving needs, and its functionality has certain limitations as follows:

Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, cannot be a domain controller. All the Active Directory stuff is removed.

In fact this version, when Service Pack 1 features are integrated is more a non-bloated Windows XP Professional SP2 and has all the necessary features of XP Pro.

Non exhaustive list of the stupid things added by MSFT developers in XP which are gone:

• Movie Maker
  • MSN Messenger
  • Search Assistant
  • Security Center

Enhancements like:

• Pop-Up blocker for IE
  • Vastly improved firewall

are kept

Native Bluetooth support? Not sure, but the MSFT bluetooth stack is of no use. Good manufacturers of bluetooth devices use their own stack

Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Toshiba Bluetooth Stack

Improved Wireless support? my wireless NIC (Centrino) works fine on my notebook with 2K3WEB SP1.

2003 is designed for experienced users and all wizards and assistants are removed and Fisher-Price GUI (they call it Themes) is not here.

Download a all-in-one tool to configure your 2003 install the way you want:

Windows Server 2003 Optimize tool

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, is designed specifically for dedicated Web serving needs, and its functionality has certain limitations as follows:

Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, cannot be a domain controller. All the Active Directory stuff is removed.

In fact this version, when SP1 is integrated is more a non-bloated Windows XP Professional SP2 and has all the features of XP Pro.

Non exhaustive list of the stupid things added by MSFT developers in XP which are gone:

• Movie Maker
  • MSN Messenger
  • Search Assistant
  • Security Center

Enhancements like:

• Pop-Up blocker for IE
  • Vastly improved firewall

are kept

Native Bluetooth support? Not sure, but the MSFT bluetooth stack is of no use. Good manufacturers of bluetooth devices use their own stack

Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Toshiba Bluetooth Stack

Improved Wireless support? my wireless NIC (Centrino) works fine on my notebook with 2K3WEB SP1.

2003 is designed for experienced users and all wizards and assistants are removed and Fisher-Price GUI (they call it Themes) is not here.

Download a all-in-one tool to configure your 2003 install the way you want:

Windows Server 2003 Optimize tool

I second that, it's the perfect candidate...you get the new NT and less all the heavy stuff... :thumbup

Edited by Clint

I'm using Win2k3 Enterprise Ed. on my workstation as well as on my server. It works great. Here's a nice tutorial you might consider: www.msfn.org/win2k3 . ;)

Yes i have that tutorials but it didn't say which version is better to use as a workstation. Anyway i have standard edition installed on my workstation and it works great :thumbup