Need Program to download wallpapers from Thumbnail

lazaross

I want to tell me a programm to download wallpapers when i give it a url with thumbnails.. for example here there are 12 thumbnails. I want the programm when i give this url to automatically download the 12 wallpapers ( not the thumbnails! )

i tried there programms but nothing happened..

picaloader

web picture snatch Xp

Ace picture

Web Pictures Downloader

Flashgot ( extension from firefox )

Downloadthem All! ( extension from firefox )

pls help me...

:(:(:(

The best you are going to do is to find full address for the jpg, start at the first one and change the jpg # in the address bar. If you are in IE, then go to the cache afterwards and save the jpgs. If in FF then you will have to save each picture as it comes up. I think there is a program that will do that for you but I can't remember what it is.

DL

i know that. the reason i am asking the programm is that this way is very boring and slow, cause except images loading and other thing so it takes much time! i have isdn.. Don't you know any good programm?

Hi,

1.) Find out how these pictures are named. In your example they have a URL like the one below:

http://www.thewallpapers.org/celebrities/u...Thurman-042.jpg

2.) find out the first and the last image (in this case the first picture is 001 and the last 042).

3.) Use a advanced scripting language like "bash" (available from www.cygwin.com including all the necessary tools) to write a program with a loop to retrieve the images using the wget program (hint: while loop, seq tool, wget tool)

This way you can write your own simple webcrawlers for retrieving a huge amount of pictures from websites where they normally want you to click through each image.

Egon

3.) Use a advanced scripting language like "bash" (available from www.cygwin.com including all the necessary tools) to write a program with a loop to retrieve the images using the wget program (hint: while loop, seq tool, wget tool)

Why not simply use windows tools ?

only for 2000 / XP ; save this to a <whatever>.CMD file (please DO NOT use ".BAT" extension, it should not run)

@ECHO OFF
SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION
REM prev line is required for running the next line(s)
FOR /L %%i IN (0,1,42) DO (
   REM next two lines pads number to three-digits (with zeroes)
   SET S=000%i
   SET S=!S:~-3!
   REM next line create the full URL and write it to a file (DLIST.TXT)
   ECHO http://www.thewallpapers.org/celebrities/uma_thurman/Uma_Thurman-!S!.jpg >> DLIST.TXT
)

Then, you can import the DLIST.TXT file in most download managers.

Notes :

a) « FOR /L %%i IN (0,1,42) DO ( »

here 0 is the "start number" ; 1 the increment added ; and 42 the "max number" : change them for another image set (i've used 0 as start in this exemple to avoid confusion with the increment ; but it's 1 for the "Uma Thurman" image set on thewallpapers)

b) « SET S=000%i »

This line creates a variable "S" with three zeros and the number ; then :

« SET S=!S:~-3! »

this line takes only the three last numbers.

Only change the "000" and the "3" if needed.

c) the variable "S" is then expanded in the "ECHO..." line using ! instead of % to force delayed expansion (if % were used, the value will remain as it was before the "FOR..." line : empty).

Of course you can use wget instead, but it will launch the 42 files simultaneously if you don't use "start /wait wget" (and with 42 simultaneous connections to one HTTP server, you WILL get timeouts ou "too many connections" errors...)

d) DLIST.TXT is not emptied, and is created into current folder.

bye

Edited by Delprat

Why not simply use windows tools ?

Because of two reasons:

1.) Bash Scripting is far more powerful then Windows Batch Scripting.

2.) You can reuse the Scripts if you ever will need them in a Unix-Like Environment

3.) I don't know Windows Batch Scripting at the level to accomplish the wanted task B)

Delprat, it seems that you are very deep into Windows Batch Scripting, maybe you should consider writing a tutorial on it. I think many people (including me), probably don't know for example that it's possible to do arithmetic operating or condition based FOR Loops in Windows Batch.

@lazaross: Yes you can use Notepad or any other Texteditor of you choice for creating the .cmd files. They are plain text files saved with .cmd or .bat extension.

Egon

Edited by egrath