the original 95 issues with sound and much more

mitchellovision

:hello:

If you like Windows 95 , and would like to know about running it on a (somewhat) high-end system, this is your topic.

Basically I'm just a little curious if the original 95 could run my sound card, and would be compatible with my Pentium 3 One Gigahertz Processor and my 64 meg video card?. I found out that it can run my motherboard drivers, and video card 2x/4x patch, and can detect my video card with NVIDIA drivers for 95, but the question is...could a 1999 64 meg video card be compatible with the original 95, and my Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Card as well. On www.nvidia.com, this is what it said for my video card display status:

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440-SE

Fill Rate: 1.1 Billion Texels/Sec.
Triangles per Second: 31 Million
Memory Bandwidth: 5.3GB/Sec.
Maximum Memory: 64MB

Now this is the part that puzzles me...my video card on Windows 95 Original:

Could anyone give me some info on this card, too see if I can run the original 95 on my P3 in my 2 gig drive specially for 95 original? And could my PIII 1 Gigahertz Processor run on it. And Vista is another problem. Here were talking about something that was created before my whole computer existed, my friend. But that is what for you to decide. If my computer could Install The original 95 (my step-bro, codyrocks2000 has the original 95 CD-ROM, an original copy, of course). Also...I may be thinking of doing a project not only for Windows Millenium Edition, but this one is for all of the 95's, including the original 95...to make Windows 95 look and feel like Windows XP, but as fast as Vista. Pretty wierd, huh? ...Anyway, that's basically what I have to say. Everyone needed! Thnx!

--correction-- I have just found out that my SBLive! 5.1 Sound Card will work on the original 95, but will have some compatiblity issues with certain programsa, but will run barely without problems. So that's off of the hook. Good one less thing to worry about now! :thumbup

Edited by mitchellovision

ok...this what I found so far on what is incompatible and somewhat compatible with the original Windows 95:

1) Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (digital surround sound) sound card has a 8 out of 10 ratio that it will run without any problems, but some software the is included with it is not compatible with the original version , or 95A, but the full recommendation is Windows 96A (95B 2.1), and the minumum is the original 95 (Win3x needs to get a codec for the drivers, and not use the ones from CD, as they will be totally useless). The video card I'm assuming that it is OKAY. My motherboard is set to go, my ethernet card is set to go, my monitor needs drivers (but I will find 'em before installation). Other than that. I'm all set to go. Now...all I need is my step-bro's Win95 CD-ROM disk in order to install. Great. <_< But anyway, if anyone has any ifo about my video card, and to locate it's drivers, much appreciated for help around this section. Thanks! :D

It says on nVidia's site that their driver ver. 77.72 works with windows 9X and ME. Isn't that proof enough that it will work on 95?

I'm sure that you will be able to install windows 95 fine on your setup as long as you don't run into driver coflicts. (Thinking of that sends a shrill down my spine whenever I install 9x on a system.) You are ok driver wise as long as your computer was built by yourself. I have a P3 500MHz Dell T-500 that was built in april of 1999 and has drivers for 98/NT4.0, but windows 95? NO NO. Company made computers (especially Dell made computers) are very prone to only being compatible with the latest OS. You seem more into trying to get 95 to work than I am trying to get 98SE to work on my computer (that is less than a year old.)

It says on nVidia's site that their driver ver. 77.72 works with windows 9X and ME.  Isn't that proof enough that it will work on 95?

I'm sure that you will be able to install windows 95 fine on your setup as long as you don't run into driver coflicts.  (Thinking of that sends a shrill down my spine whenever I install 9x on a system.)  You are ok driver wise as long as your computer was built by yourself.  I have a P3 500MHz Dell T-500 that was built in april of 1999 and has drivers for 98/NT4.0, but windows 95?  NO NO.  Company made computers (especially Dell made computers) are very prone to only being compatible with the latest OS.  You seem more into trying to get 95 to work than I am trying to get 98SE to work on my computer (that is less than a year old.)

True, that's very true. But i've read the text file from drivers 77.72 for 9x/Me and they say this for the Operating Systems:

Supported OS's

Windows 98
Windows Millenium Edition

It said nothing about Windows 95, or even the orignial, I'm thinking about going to the driver zone in Nvidia and maybe it'll have the latest one for Windows 95. But my computer was built in 1999, not by me though, I got it from my step-father last year to replace my old Intel Celeron B 850 Mgz. wihch only had 3 to 5 % cache on it, which was very fats at that time back in 2001, but not today. :} ...Anyway, thanks for the info otherwise. :yes::thumbup Really appreciated it! :)

:hello: with mitchellvison at the helm were sure to crash lol. gee i wonder if xp programs will work on 95 with mikey magic kernel lol ..2 much .at lease make a pack for 95 with all the updates fixes you know the works because im setting my time machine to 1995 and i want the best os outhere holmes. Edited by timeless

:hello: with mitchellvison at the helm were sure to crash lol. gee i wonder if xp programs will work on 95 with mikey magic kernel lol ..2 much .at lease make a pack for 95 with all the updates fixes you know the works because im setting my time machine to 1995 and i want the best os outhere holmes.

Originally I wanted the original 95 to be only 96 megabytes (instead of 89 megs), yet be twice as faster than XP, and have the XP Icandy as well, and all of the updates, yes, plus, 2ksp3+, XP Home/Pro+, and Windows 2003 Server+, without Windows 95A. This is justa project for Windows 95 Original only. Not all fo them, just the original. I'll make sure that the original 95 is superior beyond imagination. And I'll prove it to you too. Also, I've been thinking of adding Windows Vista BETA 2 driver.cab. (I orignally thought of adding WinXP SP1 driver.cab, but Vista BETA 2 will be smokin' way better than BETA 1. That's for sure. Windows 95 will be the trio of Windows Nwptune, Windows Millenium Edition, and The Original 95...without any of 95A, 95B 2.0, 2.1 or 95C 2.5. None of those will be added. This project will start from scratch. Believ me or not...once it's done, timeless, be my guest to download it. (It's called Unnoficial Windows 95 Original Service Pack 3, only for the original windows 95. Now, you may laugh now...but I want The Original 95 to boot on a FAT32, NTFS ...maybe later. But righ now, FAT32. All I have to do is use DOS 7.10 to reconfigure The original 95 to delete FAT16 suport forever...and add FAT32 suport, without the formatting (and it will be optional as well, mind you.) KNow, I know that you think I've gone a little powermad, or crazy, but those 2 (now 3) operating systems will be blessed with perfection after all of these years in ruins. ......Anyway, ...That's pretty much what I'm going to do with the original 95 for right now. I'll keep you guys posted and tell you what will be changed with The Original 95.

--Added-- Seriously! I'm not kiddin'! :no:

All talk about Service Pack 3 For Windows 95 Original will only be discussed here! I ask the smod's if they can close this thread please, since it is no use to me anymore. Thnx! And I hope you enjoy the re-newed taste of the Original Windows 95 in my new thread. Thank-You for supporting this thread, and I hope all of you will cotinue to do that with future sub-forums and threads of my own. Have a Great Day! :thumbup

Right, umm, finding it harder to be all supportive and not critical.

mitchellovision, in case you missed my attempt -

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=52318&st=40

Umm, all that stuff on Windows 95, huh?

Even if possible, why please?

And how it's possible at some point would be nice too.

I must meditate again.

AOOOMMmmm...

Okay. Maybe medication instead.

Careful, or I'll stick "some folks" on you. (Inside joke.)

err, I guess all I have to say is anything's possible in the world of technology, and good luck mitchellovision. You're gonna need it for the filesystem support anyway. I think I remember a discussion a while back on integrated NTFS support in win98se. I'm pretty sure it's possible to allow 9x to read and write to NTFS, but to boot off NTFS? That's a different story. (But, I don't really know all that well, because I haven't used windows 95 since 2002 when I had my old Micron Pentium I.) I'm pretty sure that with the video card, if it says win9x/ME on their site, it "should" work on 95. With my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, it said it would only work on ME/2000/XP, but guess what? I pop in the installation disc and it said "installing Windows 98 Catalyst Driver". Best of luck to you!

err, I guess all I have to say is anything's possible in the world of technology, and good luck mitchellovision.  You're gonna need it for the filesystem support anyway.  I think I remember a discussion a while back on integrated NTFS support in win98se.  I'm pretty sure it's possible to allow 9x to read and write to NTFS, but to boot off NTFS?  That's a different story.  (But, I don't really know all that well, because I haven't used windows 95 since 2002 when I had my old Micron Pentium I.)  I'm pretty sure that with the video card, if it says win9x/ME on their site, it "should" work on 95.  With my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, it said it would only work on ME/2000/XP, but guess what?  I pop in the installation disc and it said "installing Windows 98 Catalyst Driver".  Best of luck to you!

Interesting. Well, I'd have to look that up. But other than that, I belive you. :)

• 2 weeks later...
It said nothing about Windows 95, or even the orignial, I'm thinking about going to the driver zone in Nvidia and maybe it'll have the latest one for Windows 95. But my computer was built in 1999, not by me though, I got it from my step-father last year to replace my old Intel Celeron B 850 Mgz. wihch only had 3 to 5 % cache on it, which was very fats at that time back in 2001, but not today.  :}  ...Anyway, thanks for the info otherwise.  :yes:  :thumbup Really appreciated it!  :)

LOL. I doubt that a PC made in 1999 would outperform a Celeron 850 mhz, because they weren't even such thing as anything faster than 600 mhz back in 1999.

the XP Icandy as well

DON'T put that in windows 95. The whole XP theme/desktop/colorized menus/3D icons and all that crap is about one third of the reason why I hate XP. (No matter how much I messed around with the settings, I still hated the "look and feel" of the OS.)