Sharing an internet connection

Well, I bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless router a week or so ago, and finally had the chance to hook it up. My original router was a Netgear MR814v2 wireless router. Here's the specs:

Linksys WRT54G - 802.11g (54mbps)

Netgear MR814v2 - 802.11b (11bmps)

Both have the four port hub in the back.

I have a DSL internet connection. My DSL modem is a Netopia 3300.

My current set up is this:

The Netopia 3300 connects to the Linksys WRT54G.

My desktop (ROGUE1) receives the signal via my Netgear MA111 USB adapter.

My motherboard also has a built in 10/100 network card.

My question is this:

Could I somehow configure my computer so that, in a sense, I could share my incoming connection (the Netgear MA111) and route it to my built in 10/100 LAN port, and connect my Netgear MR814v2 to that LAN port, and set it up so that my router thinks that that LAN port is actually a cable/dsl modem?

I'm tried sharing my Linksys wireless connection on my computer, but when I connect to the Netgear router using another computer, I can't get to the internet.

Sorry if I'm not making any sense; perhaps this picture may help:

homenetwork5eh.th.png

I'm doing this for "fun", if you will. I just have too much time on my hands...

I also bought a linksys. WRT54GS.

First of all, I would recommend updating ur firmware (If it isnt the last one already)

Firmware Page

Then, Im not really undestanding what ur asking to be done, however, I can try helping by telling what I did with my "server" computer.

---------

I have ADSL modem, sharing the internet connection with 2 LAN cards.

1st card - Is hooked up to a switch that "powers" internet to the computers on my desk. Threw a cable with RJ45

2nd card - Hooked up to my Router (WRT54GS) that gives internet to the laptops of the house.

--------

Sorry if I couldnt help!

Edited by Gouki

First you have to be sure that adjacent machines are communicating with each other, (i. e. LED's are lit from one NIC to another all the way through).

Once you know there's a Physical path from one machine to another all the way through you must establish that the Data Link layer is functioning. For instance, do the 802.11b and 802.11g devices communicate properly?

Once you've verified that the Data Link layer is fully functional then you must ensure that the IP (Network layer) configurations are proper. Every device needs an IP address, a subnet mask, and a default gateway. The addresses must be unique, the mask of every device must be identical to that of its neighbour, and the default gateway of every device must be the IP host address of its upstream neighbour (the path that leads it to the Internet).

I also bought a linksys. WRT54GS.

First of all, I would recommend updating ur firmware (If it isnt the last one already)

Thanks for the suggestion; yes, I did upgrade the firmware. Am currently running 4.x.something.

I have ADSL modem, sharing the internet connection with 2 LAN cards.

1st card - Is hooked up to a switch that "powers" internet to the computers on my desk. Threw a cable with RJ45

2nd card - Hooked up to my Router (WRT54GS) that gives internet to the laptops of the house.

I think that's what I'm trying to do...

I want my Linksys router to be the main router, 'cause it connects to the internet via my Netopia modem.

So then, the Linksys router sounds out the signal to my desktop, and I want my desktop to use the signal it's receiving from the Linksys router as the internect connection for my Netgear router. That still not make sense? Sorry if it isn't. :blushing:

----------

First you have to be sure that adjacent machines are communicating with each other, (i. e. LED's are lit from one NIC to another all the way through).

Once you know there's a Physical path from one machine to another all the way through you must establish that the Data Link layer is functioning. For instance, do the 802.11b and 802.11g devices communicate properly?

They are; they are also in the same workgroup. All are able to see each other and share folders, etc.

Once you've verified that the Data Link layer is fully functional then you must ensure that the IP (Network layer) configurations are proper. Every device needs an IP address, a subnet mask, and a default gateway. The addresses must be unique, the mask of every device must be identical to that of its neighbour, and the default gateway of every device must be the IP host address of its upstream neighbour (the path that leads it to the Internet).

I think I've got that part right. My Linksys router is automatically set up to give each computer it's own IP address. Here's what I've got configured:

Linksys WRT54G Router

IP Address: 192.168.1.1

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

ROGUE1 (My desktop computer)

IP Address: 192.168.1.100

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Desktop2 is 192.168.1.101, Laptop1 is 192.168.1.102, etc.

I want to connect my second router (the Netgear router) to my LAN port on my desktop, and use my desktop's connection from the Linksys router as the Netgear's "internet" connection. In other words, I think I'm trying to say I want my desktop to be the "Cable/DSL modem" that my Netgear router is getting it's connection from.

Am I making any sense yet? :} Sorry!

*EDIT* - Just a thought;

I changed the IP address on my Netgear router to 192.168.0.1.

Linksys WRT54G IP Address: 192.168.1.1

Netgear MR814v2 IP Address: 192.168.0.1

Should I also change the Subnet mask on my Netgear router so it is something like 255.255.0.0 and it doesn't match the Linksys router, or do they both have to have the same Subnet Mask?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Wicket20519