Best Socket T Motherboard?

ringfinger

Kinda what I was thinking you'd say. :lol: But will I seriously notice that much of a difference between the 5-4-4-9 and 5-5-5-15 timings?? And doesn't the ASUS OC'ing allow me to tighten it down so to speak? Thanks again J.

Edited by ringfinger

Most of the time, you can reduce the timings past the memory's default timings. I've run a lot of memory with the minimum timings offered by the motherboard if the timings specified were much higher. You will see more of a difference in a timing reduction then a MHz increase simply because the end result in memory throughput is roughly calculated in the sense of

TIMING multiplied by MHz

It obviously is more complicated then that, but all the timings have to do with how long it takes to do a certain operation and the MHz is the frequency per second of transmissions.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear ya, things that happen to all of us. I'm having my first hands-on experiences with the P5WD2 motherboard. I'm putting together a computer for a customer using the following:

Antec SLK1650B

Asus P5WD2 Premium

Intel Pentium 630 3.0GHz 2MB

2 x 1024MB Kingston DDR2 533MHz

Leadtek PX6600 TD

250GB Western Digital SATA

Pioneer DVR-110DBK

I have to throw a copy of Doom 3 on that to test it out... it's going to be smokin'. ;)

Sweet! Well let me know how it turns out. I'm fed up of waiting and am buying everything on Moday for the rest of the build. $800 :o ... but I know it'll be worth it in the long run. Will update, and I have a DVD question for you but don't have time to post I'll get back.

Thats good to hear! I just got the Plextor and the p4 650 in today. Will you be checking the board over the next few days? I may have configuration and who knows what other types of questions. One I have right now, I was planning on just trying the stock heatsink for a while and see how it performs. If I put arctic silver down between the stock h/s and the chip and then at some point wish to change out the h/s does this stuff just wipe right off clean and then I can just apply more? And how much is enough?? Let me know por favor! And I hope you'll be around, all I lack now is the RAM and the Raptor. Wooohooo! :whistle:

Edited by ringfinger

• 4 weeks later...

I see nothing on boot!!!

P5WD2-P

Antec Performance TX640B Case, 400W Antec PSU

P4 650 3.4/2M/800 w/ stock HS/Fan

1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 6400 800MHz

74GB WD Raptor

128MB Radeon X300 on the X16_1 port (I think this may be my prob)

Samsung SyncMaster910T 19" LCD

Plextor DVD PX-740A/SW-BL

Arctic Silver 5

I turn on the machine, the green light comes on the mobo, I hear the Raptor spin up, all the fans start up... but I have no video. Got everything hooked up the best I can, the HS/Fan are mounted in tight, the RAM is in tight and I've tried reseating both. There are no beeps on power on, I left it running for about 5 minutes and it just hummed along... didn't turn off, no beeps, I just have no video!! I don't know if the vid card is bad or if I've hooked up something wrong. Any ideas?? Please!! I've spent to much on this beast to have it sitting on my floor lifeless. TIA.

Edited by ringfinger

Welcome to the world of diagnostic troubleshooting...

First thing to do is disconnect everything from the motherboard. Leave only the processor, memory and video card hooked up. Disconnect all cables, headers, expansion cards (modems, sound cards, etc). You should have only two power connectors plugged into the motherboard. The ATX 24-pin connector and a small 4 pin connector for the CPU. Those two power connectors should be the only two power connectors hooked up to the motherboard (ignore other power connectors for now). Make sure that the video card is in the TOP most slot, the one closest to the CPU. Make sure that if there are any connectors needed on for power on the video card, that they are connected. Then take a look in the motherboard manual and locate the two pins where you normally connect the power switch, then take a flat screw driver and gently touch the two pins together until the motherboard comes on.

If you don't see a BIOS screen, then one of those components is not good.

Blah...

1. You should have only two power connectors plugged into the motherboard. The ATX 24-pin connector and a small 4 pin connector for the CPU. Those two power connectors should be the only two power connectors hooked up to the motherboard (ignore other power connectors for now).

2. Make sure that the video card is in the TOP most slot

3. Make sure that if there are any connectors needed on for power on the video card, that they are connected.

4. Then take a look in the motherboard manual and locate the two pins where you normally connect the power switch

5. then take a flat screw driver and gently touch the two pins together until the motherboard comes on.

If you don't see a BIOS screen, then one of those components is not good.

1. I have the entire 24-pin ATX connection plugged in along with what they call an "EZ Plug" power connection, it's just a standard 4-pin power plug like for legacy HDs and DVDs.

2. It is.

3. There aren't

4. Are you talking about the power switch? I have the two pins connected to the 2-pin power on the bottom right of the baord, and it does come on when I hit the power button, just no video.

5. Not sure why you want me to do this as the board comes on alright, everything seems to be fine... just don't see any video. I have tried both serial and DVI-I. I tried to attach a good pic of my mobo but for some reason when I add the attachment it doesn't show.. the pic is 500kb, maybe to big? :realmad::}

Edited by ringfinger

The reason for disconnecting everything is to eliminate as many possibilities as possible. Sometimes a bad component can stop the board from booting, also a bad connectors, or a bad position for a wire can also stop the board from booting. By leaving the power as the only wiring connected, the video card as the only card installed and only the CPU and the ram installed, you're keeping on the bare bare minimum needed to start the motherboard's BIOS. Touching the power switch pins together is the only way to start the motherboard with everything disconnected. So if the BIOS still doesn't show, then you know you have a problem with one of the only components left, if it does start, then something you did after was wrong, either a wire or a faulty component.

If the board still doesn't start after disconnecting everything and leaving on the bare essentials, then you have to start by trying with only one stick of ram, then with the other, then if it still doesn't start, then you may have to bring your computer to a local computer store where they have spare video cards that they can use to test on your motherboard to see if it's your video card (unless you can borrow one). Then it leaves only the CPU, memory or motherboard.