Best Socket T Motherboard?

ringfinger

Ahh man, that sucks. Well, I have guys over on the ASUS forum questioning my RAM choice saying that it may not be compatible with the baord since its not on the QVL. However, there are people all over that board with the same type of RAM and have it working fine. I was thinking, maybe since its not the same batch and I'm trying them in dual config, that could be the problem.

I just really don't wanna pull everything out, it was such a pain getting it all in there... looks like a hurricane hit. Will you be on later this evening and night at some point? I wish I could IM you... to bad that live chat isn't up and running on the site.

Well.. great news, I got it up and running. It turns out I had to plug in that 2x2pin power connecter I was talking about earlier. There are some problems still, but software only hopefully.

The most important problem I believe is the setup of the Raptor in the BIOS. It is showing up as being the third primary drive, while the plextor shows up as the primary master. I cannot simply change the boot order in this BIOS like I've seen in all others. In IDE configuration I have it set to:

Configure SATA As [standard IDE]

Onboard IDE Operate Mode [Enhanced Mode]

Enhanced Mode Support On [s-ATA]

Which is how it's supposed to be setup according to manual and forum, however I just dont see where I can make it the Primary IDE Master. Jumper issue?

Another thing, I cannot seem to get USB to function at full speed. I have enabled USB 2.0 support in the BIOS and tried both HiSpeed and FullSpeed settings, according to the manual the 'HiSpeed' setting should result in USB 2.0 and ~480mb/s, not for me.

I don't know if it's jsut me, but this thing just doesn't seem to be performing like I thought It would have... hopefully I just have something configured wrong somewhere. Plus, I lost the **** ASUS SupporT CD that came with the mobo, so it's been a fun night of finding drivers ;) ...

Let me know what ya think.

Don't forget that USB 2.0 at 480Mbps is a theoretical maximum throughput. The actual speed varies per device. Also, the performance you'll get out of the machine can't be properly assessed until all the drivers are properly installed. I'm glad you got the machine up and running now though, the rest is just adjusting and tweaking for maximum performance.

Drivers are available at http://support.asus.com/download/download_...P5WD2%20Premium.

As for the hard drive being third master, that's normal. To enable maximum compatibility, SATA channels appear as individual IDE channels. Since you can only plug one hard drive per SATA channel, it automatically configures the drive as a master. SATA channels are configured after regular IDE channels, so your hard drive is actually connected in the correct location.

I got lucky and found the CD. I've got the USB 2.0 working fine, the Raptor is screaming as well. Only have 2 issues as of now:

CPU temp averages ~45c idle - 65c load... is this normal??

And next, the RAM.. during boot it comes up with the type of RAM as being PC 4300 Dual Channel Interleaved, not PC2 6400. However, CPU-Z reports PC6400. Also, the timings... CPU-Z reports 5-4-4-15... shouldn't that be 4-4-4-12? Should I edit it manually?

Temperature sounds normal to me.

Don't rely too much on the memory information in CPU-Z. Sometimes CPU-Z can be wrong, check your BIOS. Your BIOS settings are the only thing that will be truly accurate. It could be that your BIOS is set for 667MHz memory instead of 800MHz. Also, the timings may be at the BIOS' default. You can manually set them to the specifications specified by your memory.

Yeah that was the problem. I have read about changing it from the default so many times when researching, I just forgot. :wacko: I have set it to DDR2-800, set the timings to 4-4-4-12 and disabled the ITE controller as I have nothing on the 2 red IDE ports, and this thing is bumpin! I've tried everything I can to choke it and its not happening, accept when it comes to something that video intensive ;) ... I think I'll be in the market for a new video card before to long, not sure if the X300 is going to be enough, unless I just don't have something setup right. I setup Office2k3 in 3 minutes flat. :thumbup:whistle:

Good to hear about the CPU temps, I had the threshold set at 62C and that thing went off the first time I tried to fire up AOEIII.

I have been reading all your posts on P5wd2. This board sounds like its the bomb. Question does the ite controller support additional dvd roms. I am planning to upgrade my motherboard and I currently use a 2 dvd roms, 1 cd burner, and 1 dvd burner.

Tks

Unfortunately, the IDE ITE RAID controller supports only IDE hard drives, it does NOT support any optical drives. You can install a maximum of 2 IDE optical drives. However, you can install SATA optical drives as well, or use an external IDE PCI card.