Firefox/Thunderbird Silent Installs

IRON FART

I made silent installers for both of these using WinRAR SFX. It's a VERY quick and easy way to get the job done.

Heres what you do if you are interested:

1. Download Firefox

2. Extract everything in the Firefox Setup file to a folder

3. Open 'config.ini'

4. Change 'Run Mode' to Silent

5. Save and close

6. Make a new archive out of everything you extracted from the original install .exe

7. Check create SFX archive

8. Go to Advanced > SFX Options

9. In the Run After Extraction textbox, type 'setup.exe'

10. Go to the 'Modes' tab

11. Check Unpack to Temporary Folder

12. Then select the 'Hide all' option and the 'Overwrite all files' option just underneath that

Then just go ahead and create your archive. This one is a no-brainer. :P Anyway I should mention that you do not have to make an SFX archive. If you unpack the setup file, and change the config.ini, that is enough! Although I am making an SFX so that I will save some space. (No DVD Burner.....Yet).

If you do not pack with WinRAR, the total space required for Firefox will be just under 17MB. With WinRAR it will be just over 5MB. This is EXACTLY the same process for Thunderbird.

OK So this process works...But how to I install FF extensions?

TIA

Theres about 3 different ways for firefox installation already:

1) Silent of the Foxes - Doesnt work for me as it doesnt copy my whole profile over :s

2) Simonsays method - The best way Ive personally found

3) Your way which is the same as Simonsays technically but Simonsays wrote a nifty little cmd file for firefox and it can reinstate your old profile which will backup all your extensions/themes/plugins all at once.

As for thunderbird, Ive tried all day to get it to use my old profile - it should be the same as firefox, but the problem is...

the profile fr thunderbird will not copy to the application data folder untill the import wizzard that you get when you first launch thunderbird has been run.... im surrently trying to find a way around this but to no avail.

Looks like all you are doing is modifying the config.ini file. If you are going to repack it, use 7z, it will save you about 1 more meg. Only program I have seen to do it properly is Silence of the Foxes. Still not the best compression you can get, but it uses the same exact settings as the firefox installer for compression. As for the rest of it, I've had problems.

Simonsays's method just adds extra functionality to the installer. You don't see the thread as much, because he finally went the route of making it version independent. I haven't used it, but he does a lot of the things that I do in my installer also.

I would recommend that you use Simonsays's cmd file, then package it with Silence of the Foxes. This would give you the best of both worlds.

Looks like all you are doing is modifying the config.ini file.  If you are going to repack it, use 7z, it will save you about 1 more meg.  Only program I have seen to do it properly is Silence of the Foxes.  Still not the best compression you can get, but it uses the same exact settings as the firefox installer for compression.  As for the rest of it, I've had problems.

Simonsays's method just adds extra functionality to the installer.  You don't see the thread as much, because he finally went the route of making it version independent.  I haven't used it, but he does a lot of the things that I do in my installer also.

I would recommend that you use Simonsays's cmd file, then package it with Silence of the Foxes.  This would give you the best of both worlds.

Yes, changing the config.ini is exactly the only thing i've done. I didn't make this thread to show how I was gettng the job done, but rather to understand if there is a way to install extensions via this way.

Well It's not a problem now. I found an easy way to install extensions.