Newbie Needs Help -- Please Read

nuke747

I am new to the unattended installation idea and have been messing around with nLite to create a custom version of XP. I have it all figured out but now I want to add other programs to be installed at the same time. I am confused on how to use the switchless installs with nLite.

If somebody could inform me on how to implement a switchless install of GoogleToolbar, or something like Quicktime or Real player into my nLite CD I would be most appreciative.

Thanks for the Help!

- Luke :hello:

I understand the script writing procedures to make the switchless installs..I just dont understand if and how I could implement them into a nLite install after it has installed XP.

I understand the script writing procedures to make the switchless installs..I just dont understand if and how I could implement them into a nLite install after it has installed XP.

Just make a nLited xpcd folder on your harddrive and then you must make a unattended windows install (which you can do with nLite) via the winnt.sif file. Set it to oempreinstall is yes and create the $OEM$ folder structure in your xpcd. Then you can do a number of methods to incorporate your apps installs.

But really, do some research and make an effort to understand the basics of an unattended setup and switches before you post here. Take this link for example; just read carefully through all the steps on that site and you should be able to have a basic unattended setup with apps up and running in no time.

Google Toolbar:

cmd1[pn]=['%CDROM%\\Software\\GoogleToolbarInstaller.exe /s /qn']

I use Quicktime Alternative and Real Alternative with the following switches:

cmd1[pn]=['%CDROM%\\Software\\QuicktimeAlternative\\quicktimealt148.exe /VERYSILENT /COMPONENTS=qt,qt\\codec,qt\\directshow,qt\\plugins,qt\\browser']

cmd1[pn]=['%CDROM%\\Software\\RealAlternative\\realalt142.exe /VERYSILENT /COMPONENTS=real,real\\codec,real\\directshow,real\\browser']

These lines are from my WPI config but the switches, /s /VERYSILENT etc. , remain the same.

Thanks so much for the help, I will dick around with that and see what i can put together. Appreciate it.

So when Im using nLite, do I compile the whole cd and let it make the ISO before I go any further and include the other applications?

Edited by nuke747

nuke.

Yes thats what I dp.

I use virtual PC to test my unattended apps.

I am still working on perfecting my unattended install before moving on to more advanced stuff.

That way you will learn what works ok and what doesn't.

Use Nlite to create uour ISo file.

its soooooooooooooo simple! :D

Only problem I am figuring out is about 3/4 way through installing hot fixes it asks for a directory to extract to.

:whistle:

when I sort out which hot fix thats doing it then I will have have a perfect unattended install - testing on Virtual PC. only two questions it asks............

what drive to install to? and what format NTFS or whatever?

Then I am going to build in the office stuff and other apps.

Hope that helps.

:thumbup

Thanks so much for the help, I will dick around with that and see what i can put together.  Appreciate it. 

So when Im using nLite, do I compile the whole cd and let it make the ISO before I go any further and include the other applications?

It doesn't really matter but when you make the iso before you add your unattended setup and program folders you have to add them later with a tool like UltraISO. I just have a xpcd directory on my hd and every once in a while when i change or add something in it i just rebuild my iso, it doesn't take that long on a decent computer. And i use cdimagegui for that which works better for me than nLite.

Offcourse like Railman said it's always a good idea to test your cd in Virtual PC or VMWare, it will save you a lot of hassle with rewritable cd's and stuff like that.

One more thing, when you are a comfortable with the basics i recommend that you look into the WPI project, it gives you a nice choice of which apps to install with a nice interface. And once you get the hang of it it's very easy to maintain.