Windows memory use...

Is there a way to make Windows XP/2003 to use all available RAM and only when it's full to start using pagefile.sys?

Hi, the solution you are looking for is the ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 value in SYSTEM.INI trick.

Details are here - http://www.mdgx.com/98-4.htm

FYI, it does not make much of a difference from Win2k onwards, but you try it and THEN decide if its worth using or not. :)

prathapml...

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /98-4.htm on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

;)

Anyway I moved pagefile.sys to another HDD and had the same performace as when it was on the same HDD where Windows was installed.

Is there a way to make Windows XP/2003 to use all available RAM and only when it's full to start using pagefile.sys?

Hi, the solution you are looking for is the ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 value in SYSTEM.INI trick.

Details are here - http://www.mdgx.com/98-4.htm

FYI, it does not make much of a difference from Win2k onwards, but you try it and THEN decide if its worth using or not. :)

That switch works only on Windows 9x. I don't think XP/2003 even needs the system.ini file.

-this registry setting will prevent the paging of the kernel to the pagefile.sys or make use of RAM before going to the disk

-you must have at least 256mb memory

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Haft'disagree... I also would like to be able to tweak this. Why? Two reasons:

(1) I have 2 GB of RAM; 1.4 Gigs are currently free. Yet 20% of the page file (51 of 256 megs) is in use (peaked at 30), and I'm averaging 256 pages faults/sec to the pagefile (peaked at 4,687). How can anyone say this is good memory management???

:no:

(2) I have the pagefile set to a fixed size 256 megs in an effort to force windows to use more ram. From time to time windows will tell me that I don't have enough virtual memory, and that it is increasing the pagefile (it doesn't, but the message is still annoying)

Muh??

I do use the DisablePagingExecutive tweak, and this helps, but still... Windows shouldn't be using *any* pagefile in this scenario (imo).

Whatever algorithm Microsoft is using wasn't developed with high-RAM systems in mind. Unless there are tweaking capabilities somewhere buried in the system.

I want them!! :)

Edited by SngBrdb