Nvidia 6800 GT 256MB Companies

Slimy

eVGA just do reference design and after MSI's fiasco with sending out GT with wrong pipes....

XFX and Leadtek and BFG were the best providers of the 6800 series of cards although the Aopen ones were pretty good too - they seemed to clock well.

Leadtek do a massive copper cooler but its a 2 slot solution so youl be loosing a PCI slot :)

eVGA just do reference design and after MSI's fiasco with sending out GT with wrong pipes....

XFX and Leadtek and BFG were the best providers of the 6800 series of cards although the Aopen ones were pretty good too - they seemed to clock well.

Leadtek do a massive copper cooler but its a 2 slot solution so youl be loosing a PCI slot :)

meh.. i dont recommend XFX, too many people usually run into problems with it.

Thats weird, a hell of alot of people with 6800GT over @ OcUK forums have XFX and they clock very well.

The only problems I can remember with one of the partners were the bios needed flashing as it shipped with the wrong one (it could have been XFX) but this was yonks ago when they were first released.

What ever you do, dont touch Galaxy, they had to release a second revision with a copper backbone for the card, so many problems with them.

Ild personally go for a leadtek though :)

Edited by Mekrel

Thats weird, a hell of alot of people with 6800GT over @ OcUK forums have XFX and they clock very well.

The only problems I can remember with one of the partners were the bios needed flashing as it shipped with the wrong one (it could have been XFX) but this was yonks ago when they were first released.

What ever you do, dont touch Galaxy, they had to release a second revision with a copper backbone for the card, so many problems with them.

Ild personally go for a leadtek though :)

like i said, many, not all. they must of been in the "not all" category. but yea. I agree with you Mekrel, Leadtek is great! i remember setting one up for a friend and it worked amazingly.

thx guys, i'll have to look around :)

edit: what's "eVGA just do reference design"

should I look for ledtek> evga>xfx or in some other order?

Edited by slimy

When nvidia release a new GPU there is a reference design which some companies choose to follow.

It basically means it is nearest to nvidias PCB design and includes nvidias reference heatsink (which is noisy on the 6800GT)

However, appart from it being the reference heatsink, nothing else should be offputting about reference designs as afterall - they are all 6800GT's with 16 pipes 350core and 1000mhz on the memory.

I base my purchase on:

Games package? Does it have on?

After market support? Are they good and do they do an extended warranty like BFG do with the 7800GTX's

Heatsink design? Is it better?

My Aopen 6800GT was reference design as it was a good card, did 430 on the core on stock cooling.

You can always replace the heatsink with the Zalman VF-700cu - that is the best 3rd party GPU sink out there at the moment.