Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Thanks Fernando - there is a guide for the Intel Chipset & AHCI drivers, but I also have seen nothing regarding the AMD/Nvidia chispets.

Here is a link if you would like to review & see if there is anything applicable. I would be willing to clone one of my drives & try it (read guinea pig) if you were to come up with a potential cross-reference-type guide for Nvidia.

<a href="http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Ahci-Support-for-Ati-Sb600-Sata-Controllers-on-Existing-Windows-Installations">http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Ahci-Support-for-Ati-Sb600-Sata-Controllers-on-Existing-Windows-Installations</a>

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by gdm12345

agreed, but I just thought that the registry entries could be modified to reflect the Nvidia AHCI drivers & chipsets. You seemed to be a logical choice for someone capable of re-inventing the wheel for Nvidia due to your expansive knowledge.

I will work off a clone drive or 2, and see if I can come up with an in-place solution.

Thanks,

Greg

agreed, but I just thought that the registry entries could be modified to reflect the Nvidia AHCI drivers & chipsets. You seemed to be a logical choice for someone capable of re-inventing the wheel for Nvidia due to your expansive knowledge.
Although your request is completely off topic, I would like to help you.

The main problem with AHCI capable nForce systems is the big variety of different AHCI Controllers. So it is not possible to create 1 single REG file, which is usable with all AHCI capable nForce chipset mainboards.

What I need are the following informations:

1. Does your mainboard have an MCP78 chipset? If not, which is the exact MCP chipset number?
  2. Which nForce chipset driver pack resp. which nForce IDE driver version are you running?
  3. Do you have already a file named NVGTS.SYS within your WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS folder?
  4. When you open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and "SCSI and RAID Controllers" sections of the Device Manager, do you see any devices named "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controllers"?
    If yes, which HardwareID's do they show?
    If no, which HardwareID's do the listed devices named "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" show?
    Notice: You can see the supported HardwareID's of any device by doing a right click onto it and choose the "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs" options.

is there no way to integrate the AHCI drivers and reset a working copy of XP Pro w/SP3 & BIOS to AHCI mode?

Try, not tested: add_nvgts_online.reg

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\PCI#VEN_10DE&CC_0101]
"Service"="nvgts"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\PCI#VEN_10DE&CC_0106]
"Service"="nvgts"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvgts]
"Type"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000000
"Group"="SCSI miniport"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\nvgts.sys"
"DisplayName"="NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvgts\Parameters\PnpInterface]
"5"=dword:0x00000001

Use a nvgts.sys version relating to your hardware.

Copy file nvgts.sys to %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers.

Another question may arise: RAID.

However: how to change RAID online?

Does this make sense at all? Maybe if you like to change hardware and keep RAID.

Again, not tested. Anyway

REGEDIT4

;nvrd32.sys

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\SCSI#NVIDIA__Raid_Disk________]
"Service"="nvrd32"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\SCSI#__NVIDIA_______Raid_Disk]
"Service"="nvrd32"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\SCSI#NVIDIA__Raid_Disk_20_____]
"Service"="nvrd32"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\SCSI#__NVIDIA____Raid_Disk_20]
"Service"="nvrd32"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\*_NVRAIDBUS]
"Service"="nvrd32"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\*NVRAIDBUS]
"Service"="nvrd32"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\*NVRAID20]
"Service"="nvrd32"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvrd32]
"Type"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000000
"Group"="System Bus Extender"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\nvrd32.sys"
"DisplayName"="NVIDIA nForce RAID Driver"

Fernando,

I apologize for my inquiry being off topic, but also thank you for you assistance. This was the closest discussion I could find on this particular topic with someone who seemed very knowledgable.

Does your mainboard have an MCP78 chipset? If not, which is the exact MCP chipset number?

Yes. It is reported as MCP78S or GEForce 8200 by Sandra Lite and mobo mfr (Gigabyte)

Which nForce chipset driver pack resp. which nForce IDE driver version are you running?

The driver pack version level is version 18.11. I noticed in previous posts within this thread that there were some better drivers etc that you had created - do you think I should download & install those instead?

Do you have already a file named NVGTS.SYS within your WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS folder?

yes, the properties for nvgts.sys shows "10.3.0.21 built by: WinDDK". There is also an interesting txtsetup.oem document within the drivers folder that I just found that somewhat details (but not exactly) the same changes as the previous post.

When you open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and "SCSI and RAID Controllers" sections of the Device Manager, do you see any devices named "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controllers"?

yes, the HardwareID's are:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AD8&SUBSYS_B0021458&REV_A2

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AD8&SUBSYS_B0021458

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AD8&CC_010400

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AD8&CC_0104

As an FYI - I was able to initially successfully set the system up as a RAID 1 (using the nForce drivers) when I first did the mobo upgrade but I wasnt too impressed with the drive speeds so I stupidly tried installing a Promise FastTrak TX4310 RAID PCI card which completely hosed everything (meaning I had to recreate the SATA clones from my original IDE drive). This AHCI path is a quest to improve drive response/speeds.

I am still undecided between going back to my Casper software for daily incremental backups or just accepting the RAID 1 speeds and leaving well enough alone. But until I answer the AHCI question (read - I am stubborn) I won't know which way I want to go.

Thanks.

Thanks

@ gdm12345:

I have prepared and uploaded a REG file, which might work for you.

Download it here and unzip it.

Before you run the REG file, you should do a backup of all your important datas.

After having run the REG file, you should do, what the other authors already have written:

1. Reboot and enter the BIOS.

2. Enable AHCI, save the new BIOS settings and reboot.

3. When you get the "Found new hardware" message, stop the installation procedure, run the installer of the 18.11 driverpack and choose just the "MediaShield"/"Storage Driver" option.

Good luck!

Fernando

EDIT: As I just have seen, you recently have enabled RAID. This will not work, if you want to run your SATA Controllers in AHCI mode. So you have to disable RAID and reboot before you start running the REG file.

Edited by Fernando 1

:thumbup

Dude - you rock ! Did everything you suggested and everything worked.

The AHCI is now enabled (shows up in DevMgr under IDE ATA/ATAPI as nForce SATA) and the drive speeds while not too much better - are definitely improved (using Sandra lite).

I also managed to tweak the DDR2 settings (multiplier & voltage) for 1066 MHZ and the new mobo/system is definitely screaming.

Thanks again for your assistance.

:thumbup

Dude - you rock ! Did everything you suggested and everything worked.

The AHCI is now enabled (shows up in DevMgr under IDE ATA/ATAPI as nForce SATA) and the drive speeds while not too much better - are definitely improved (using Sandra lite).

That's great for you and for me too. To be honest, I didn't really expect, that it would work.
I also managed to tweak the DDR2 settings (multiplier & voltage) for 1066 MHZ and the new mobo/system is definitely screaming.
Now, since your AHCI system is up, you can even try to update your currently running nForce chipset drivers (before you do that, you should uninstall the Ethernet driver).
Thanks again for your assistance.
You are welcome.

Greetings!

Fernando

@ all other nForce chipset owners:

The linked REG file is only usable with MCP78 (nForce 730a/720a/710a) chipset mainboards. Additionally the file NVGTS.SYS has to be present within the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS folder of your XP partition.

That's great for you and for me too. To be honest, I didn't really expect, that it would work.
Yes, that's nice.

CriticalDeviceDatabase, service and base registry eintries from txtsetup.oem should work too.

@ all other nForce chipset owners:
What about compatible HardwareId PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0106 ?

I was just wondering, I used the drivers that shipped with my motherboard which are version 5.10.2600.518. My motherboard is an NF4 chipset. My RAID arrays are working fine with the old driver.

Will I see a noticeable speed increase if I 1) update the drivers

2) update my motherboard bios

Firstly sorry for posting off-topic.

Your right my system is stable and I would need to flash the bios in order to use newer drivers, not worth the risk at all. Thnaks again for all your help. Have a wonderful new year.