Cannot join workstation to domain

hamish

Hello

I have a win2k server running AD and I'm trying to setup a roaming profile user to login to that from a client. The domain is TRONNET.com and the client name is ARCHIMEDES.

At the moment, I'm testing, and I have the server (win2k server) and windows 2k pro client.

I have successfully set this situation up with one user (profiletest), and am trying to set up a second user (user1).

I have made the local user (user1) and copied the profile to a file server etc. However, during the process of following the wizard through "Network ID" on the client, in order to add user1 as a user which logs into the TRONNET.com domain (instead of just to the local computer), I get the following error:

"Your computer could not be joined to the domain because the following error occured:

Access Denied"

I did read this this might be because I cannot add two different users from the same client, but I'm not sure that can be the case. In any case, I changed the client PC name and tried again, however, I got the same error.

Could anyone point me in a the right direction.

Regards

Hamish

found it.

I added user1 to the Administrators group. This means that he has the permissions to add the computer.

However, this is not secure. Is there a differnet group which this member should be in, instead of Administrator?

hamish

I guess you mean administrator on the PC.

This is a local account and is not sufficient to add the workstation to the domain.

To accomplish this, the user has be a member of the DOMAIN ADMINISTRATOR-group (or the Account Operators-group for that matter).

Then it should work.

Local users (users listed on the PC) by default doesn't have any permissions to add computers to the domain. Only Domain and Enterprise Administrators, Account Operators have permissions to add computers to the domain.

Local Administrators are quite different from Domain Administrators in a way that Local Admins can only change settings in the PC alone while Domain Admins can change almost anything in the domain.

Not on Folders, you can enable quota's on Volumes though.

Here's some info:

Quotas and usersBecause disk quotas monitor volume

An area of storage on a hard disk. A volume is formatted by using a file system, such as file allocation table (FAT) or NTFS, and has a drive letter assigned to it. You can view the contents of a volume by clicking its icon in Windows Explorer or in My Computer. A single hard disk can have multiple volumes, and volumes can also span multiple disks.use by individual user, each user's utilization of disk space does not affect the disk quotas for other users of the same volume. For example, if Volume F has a quota limit of 500 megabytes (MB) and a user saves 500 megabytes (MB) worth of files to Volume F, that user cannot write additional data to the volume without first deleting or moving some existing files from it. However, each of the other users can continue to save up to 500 MB worth of files on that volume as long as there is sufficient free space.

Disk quotas are based on file ownership and are independent of the folder location of the user's files within the volume. For example, if users move their files from one folder to another on the same volume, their volume space usage does not change. However, if users copy their files to a different folder on the same volume, their volume space usage doubles. Or, if another user creates a 200 kilobyte (KB) file and you take ownership of that file, that user's disk use decreases by 200 KB and your disk use increases by 200 KB.

Based on experience, I would not suggest to set quotas on Home Drives since you can't be sure that everybody will be using their home drives and there are also some that will be using it big time. My point is, if you have it set, the allocated space for those users who are not using their home drives will just...be there, idle.

But if your asking for the possibility of quotas, interminded is correct, not folders but volumes.

Very good. I shall not bother with it.

I'm basically trying to find out how to use AD fairly well, and what features it has. You guys have been very helpful, so I thank you.

Are there any good how-tos out there which detail why one should use group policy, and give me an example of how to set up a group policy for something fairly simple. Just to give me an idea of how it works.

Cheers

Hamish