system in a mess ......

death_dealer

few things that do not work in my systm are : (earlier they were working fine)

1. system restore

2. search (tried installing srchasst.inf did't work) what else can i do ??? :(

3. help and support (tried installing pchealth.inf did't work) what else can i do ??? :(

4. takes arround 2-3 min to shut down .. (even after removing unnecessary prog through msconfig.)

system details ::--

os -- win xp pro sp1 . (not original) :no:

amd -- 1.8

mb -- msi

hdd -- 40 gb segate

ram -- ddr 512 mb

can some one help me ... don't want 2 install xp over again ... :(

Maybe a system repair (with the XP-cd) is not the worst of ideas.

Seeing your other post about the media-player your system is likely in need of a quick repair.

So if I were you, I would boot from the XP-cd (if you have one) and choose the R for system repair..

u mean through revovery console . atleast my cd gives me this option when i press R from the boot menu.

or if u r talking of automated system repair that option leads me to xp repair disk that i don't have . :(

what do u think about sfc scan will that work im not sure about that option if it will work

then can u give me some info about that process . :w00t:

thnks dude for ur interest to help ... :thumbup

Yes yes, I mean the recovery console !

The SFC command scans and replaces any Microsoft Windows file on the computer and replaces any changed file with the correct version.

You can try this of course.

perhaps the best way is to run:

c:\SFC /SCANNOW /

(you have to do this at the command prompt)

However, while scanning & replacing the system could ask for a Windows XP-cd or a Service Pack-cd.

By the way: why is your system restore not working ?

Edited by interminded

not sure about that excatly why it is not working .if i go through all prog --accecories-system tools-systemrestore then nothing opens up ..

but if i go through run command (c:\windows\system32\restore\resrui.exe)

only a blank page opens up with system restore as the heading in it and nothing else...

any way when i go for sfc /scannow it asks me 4 win xp pro cd that i provided then it asks 4 win xp pro service pack 2 cd (i provided the xp service pack2 cd that came free from MS ) then it says worng cd .

do i need to make a xp pro service pack 2 installation cd .(slipstreaming)

if that will work then plz tell me INTERMINDED so i will make it .

any way thanks a lot dude . hoping 2 c ur reply soon . :thumbup

Wrong CD ?? ****.. that's odd..

A slipstreaming CD sounds good, but will not make any difference. The official Micorsoft CD should work fine.

Try to follow these steps, regarding to your system restore problem.

To troubleshoot System Restore issues, try one or more of the following steps:

- If you receive an error message that is related to System Restore, always make sure that you first record the error message

and follow the instructions that the error message contains to try to resolve the issue. Most System Restore issues generate

an error message that contains a description of the issue and suggestions for how to resolve the issue.

- Make sure that you have enough disk space on all of the drives on which System Restore is enabled.

- Make sure that the System Restore service is running by using one of the following methods:

- Check in Control Panel:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click "Performance and Maintenance".

2. Click Administrative Tools, click Computer Management, and then click Services and Applications.

3. Click Services, and then click System Restore Services.

- Open a command prompt window:

1. Click Start, click Run, and then type "CMD" (without the quotation marks).

2. Press the ENTER key, and then type "Net Start" (without the quotation marks) at the command prompt to make sure that

the System Restore service is up and running.

- Make sure that System Restore is enabled on the drives that you want System Restore enabled on.

- Try to run System Restore in Safe mode.

- If you suspect that you do not have as many restore points as you should have, make sure that the data store is the size that

you want the data store to be.

- Check the event logs to investigate System Restore service errors:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click "Performance and Maintenance".

2. Click Administrative Tools, click Computer Management, double-click Event Viewer, and then click System.

3. Click the Source tab to sort by name, and then look for "sr" or "srservice." Double-click each of these services, and then

evaluate the event description for any indication of the cause of the problem.

Personnaly a faster way fo restore is to....

1. make a slipstreamed ver of you XP disk....

2. Run the CD Setup... hit enter to setup... accept the EULA, when XP fing prev. ver. hit "R" for the Repair mode... much like "sfc" but more intrusive... not just core files... most of xp... (for getting rid of the pesky bugs)...

You will be able to keep ALL (haven't found a black sheep yet) of your cracks, tweaks, programs, music, settings out side XP... Inside XP (well :whistle: , most..) depends on what tweaks, hacks you have done to the system core... if nothing then you have not an issue.

Hope this helps...

P.S. We had dell machines come in as a contract from the military (preloaded) we added them to the domain, and what do ya know... we needed to fix it... i did the same steps as i mentioned and, not only did it keep our files, but it let us stay on the domain with out any issues...

@interminded >> well i did viewed event log earlier even before posting here but coul't find anything 4 system restore nothing odd over there ,and the services are all running set as automatic

to start with the system .

@chilifrei64 >> yep the services are all working n started .n no messages of that sort

@brandons_mil >> i will cheak that option hope that will solve .

well guys found out another problem my user account option (from control panel) is also not working means it opens up but there is nothing in it to do jus a blank screen

i think my system has got some (cancer / hiv+) type of deasise wherein everything is shutting down day in day out ... he he he he.. :lol:

n the other day i cheked my hdd i found some thing else >>bad sector <<

well that was the last thing i was expecting ... :huh:

now i thing i hve to do some thing serious about it .:angrym:

well thanks 4 all the new ideas n helpful thoughts u gave me ...

if u have any more ideas plz don't bother to through them @ me ... :)