DNS fails after Joining Domain dell laptops

kurbycar32

I work at a school district and we just got a pile of new Dell D610 notebooks with intel pro 2200gb wireless network cards built in. the laptops come pre-loaded with SP2. Everything works fine until they are joined to the domain. when they join the domain all of the laptops loose DNS capability when using the wireless card to connect to any network. To troubleshoot i tried dis-joining the domain and logging on locally, doing a repair install and even using a different wireless card. nothing worked. the only way i got it working was formatting and loading XP with SP1. does anyone have any ideas?

Stupid question I'm about to ask, but is the Firewall disabled? Try doing that if that doesn't work, manually input some IP addresses and DNS Settings. If that works then there is something wrong not with the laptops, but with your DHCP. What kind of routing hardware are you using? Dell switches I hope. Post back with that info as well.

I work for a school board as well and love my job. We're getting a 100Mbps WAN between all 40 locations this year, we've upgraded the whole shebang to Windows Server 2003, and we're setting a up a RIS and WSUS server now. Hopefully, with the exception of hardware issues, we won't have to step foot into the field again after this.

the firewall is disabled and manually setting ip and dns information doesnt work. it also doesnt matter what network you are on, like if i take it home and use it on my personal network it still fails. you can still browse web pages if you know the IP address though.

our district has 26 schools up and another 4 being built and they are all on a 100mb WAN. everything is on server 2k3 as well but its poorly managed and understaffed (4 techs for 26 schools) so most of our stuff has to be done on location. i am trying to change that but im just one guy and i just transfered here 2 months ago.

Couple of questions...

Before you join the laptops to the domain... what DNS Server is it pointing to?... can you ping this address?

After joining it to the domain... what DNS Server is it pointing to? It should be pointing to your active directory dns server as your primary dns server. Can you ping this address?

Can the Domain Active directory DNS Server query external dns domains?... Can it ping Google.com?

As far as hardware configuration.. this shouldn't make any difference.

I know 2k3 DNS servers and firewalls have had a few issues because 2k3 dns servers query dns using packets larger than 512kb and firewalls like to block udp packets larger than that size... but lets get through the basics first..

prior to joining the domain the laptops are pointing to its DNS assigned by DHCP, the AD DNS server. the dns server is in perfect working order and considering the fact that the problem occurs regardless of the network it ends up on, even after disjoined from the domain. i would say that it doesnt matter. it is my beleif that in the process of joining the domain some part of windows is getting corrupted but i dont know what it is or what specificly is causing it. but to answer your question the AD DNS server can ping anything i tell it to.

The problem lies within the laptop, but is caused by somthing that happens while joining the domain. thats my best guess

Can you ping internal workstations/servers via hostname?

Other than web browsing...when you ping like say google.com.. does it say unable to find host google.com or do you get request timed out and do you get the same when you try to ping an internal workstation....

Before testing.. run ipconfig /flushdns

This way there are no cached entries in your local dns cache

you cant ping via hostnames at all neither domain or computer, even after a dnsflush. only TCP/IP and AEGIS v3.101 (802.1x) protocols are running. i havent tried disabling a lmhosts lookup, il give that a spin