Folder Permissions (Moving)

Dredz

Folder Permissions (Moving)

I’m looking for a way to stop user moving folders on a publicly assessable drive hosted on a Windows 2003 file server but still have full access to the files inside, iv been tinkering all morning to no avail, can any one help?

thx

Dredz

hi,

i never thinked to do something like this, but try this maybe sole it. i'll test in my test server too later.

try to assign a read-only premission to the folder and disable the inheritance feature and then assing premission to the folders inside it seperatly. by the way dig up the advanced premission may be u can find something useful on it. ;)

I have had a long play with the advanced permission for the folders that I am trying to keep in the same place to no avail.

-- I seem to be able to set it to logically what you would think would stop users from moving files, only to find that they CAN move the folders, when they do they become the "Owner" of the folder and all of the folder permission are set back to the standard set.

This is still really bugging me (after about a week’s) PELASE – can any one offer any ideas on the problem?

:blink:

When you're giving full or read/write permissions to a file or folder, moving is implicitly included. read only permission is the only type of permission that will not allow movement of the files/folders. I haven't tried the other permissions in the "Advance" permissions.

I think it is somewhat like you can't give modify or read/write permissions to a user without giving the user delete permissions.

hope this helps.