Diffeence Between.....

niteghost

To save yourself some headaches - if you're going to use your computer as a workstation computer (for everyday things - gaming, surfing, etc) XP Pro. If you're going to use your computer as a server (i.e. webhosting, domains, FTP server, etc) then go with Server 2003.

I've got my desktop computer running the trial of Server 2003 (a UACD every 6 months doesn't bother me much) and I'm running it as an FTP server and my download machine - so it's on pretty much all the time. Here's where the advantage of Server2003 comes in. I don't use this computer for games at all, but I know that people have had a total pain in the butt trying to get some games to install at all on Win2K3.

In the end, if you're just looking for a good OS, Win XP will do you just fine (even XP Home for the most part).

@niteghost

I rather agree with Zxian.

XP Pro is a lot more "consumer friendly" if you're going to use it as a workstation for games, heavy graphics or video applications or sound editing programs - or just for plain surfing and writing documents etc.

You may want to turn off XP's "bulky" look - loved by some and hated by a few others ... you can turn this off however in control panel->system->advanced->performance and set this to best performance instead of best visual ...

Edited by techniquefreak