Wallpaper, Group Policy & Internet Explorer

Hi all!!

I have set a group policy for my domain users to give them a wallpaper, and have disabled their ability to change it. But then, if I open a picture in IE, right click on it, and choose "Set as Background", then my wallpaper (which is supposed to be "unchangeable") gets changed!!!

As a workaround, I disabled right-click within IE- but the folks are not happy about it at all! Is there any other way to patch this loop hole?

Why don't you give your Users a Mandatory Profile, then if they change the background it isn't permanent, they get the default one back again each time they logon.

Or ...

HKEY_Current User/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Policies/ActiveDesktop.

Create a key titled "NoChangingWallpaper" without the quotes and set the value=1. Voila!

Edited by FAT64

I dont want to set up mandatory / roaming profile coz I have problems applying group policies on them (Have posted another thread on that in this forum). And anyways, my requirement is that people should never be able to change the wallpaper I;ve given them thru Active desktop group policy. I tried forcing the Active Desktop wallpaper, as well as the Reg Key, but nopes, users are still able to change the wallpaper through IE (The wallpaper tab in display options is greyed out)... Let me experiment a bit more, I shall let you know what I got into. Meanwhile, if anyone can find an option to grey-out the option to "Set as Background" from IE, let me know...

HKEY_Current User/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Policies/ActiveDesktop.

Create a key titled "NoChangingWallpaper" without the quotes and set the value=1. Voila!

This is just the implementation of the Prevent changing wallpaper GP, which ph03n!x probably had tried when he said he had "disabled their ability to change it". But I note the GP is per user only so it's worth checking the GP again.

• 2 weeks later...

this one worked for me...

once you've set the standard wallpaper on the desktop,

add the ff value to this key in registry:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\

Wallpaper (string) value="<path to wallpaper>"

WallpaperStyle (string) value = "2" (2 means stretched)

after applying that, our users are unable to change wallpaper even if they click "Set as Desktop Background" option when they do a right click on IE or from image preview.