Upgrading Video Card Help

BombaTwist

I want to upgrade my video card. right now i have a S3 ProSavageDDR (32MB), it sucks in my opinion. its intergrated in my motherboard, im looking for an 4x AGP compatible Video card since i dont have PCI-E x16 or AGP x8 on my mobo. and i dont intend to upgrade my mobo anytime soon. i was thinking about getting this Radeon 9600PRO since its compatible with 4x AGP. and a very decent video card under 100 bucks (since my budget is a $100. anybody think i should get it? this card is just a temporary until the end of the year. since thats when i will get the goodies. If anyone knows any other better cards please post here, and it has to be one less than a $100. and i dont intend on saving up for something bigger.

if it's a temp solution, that will work out fine until you can get something better... afaik, 8x agp cards are backward compatible w/ 4x, so you don't really have to worry about that

is every single 8x AGP backward compatible? because when i went to newegg, i saw a card that said in the requirements "Requires AGP 8x slot compliant motherboard" nothing about 4x AGP. Source

Edited by BombaTwist

is every single 8x AGP backward compatible? because when i went to newegg, i saw a card that said in the requirements "Requires AGP 8x slot compliant motherboard" nothing about 4x AGP. Source

i dont think all are backwards compatible so take that as cation,, if you find a card that is 8x make sure it says it can be switched back and forth between 8x and 4x because that part will have to be switched in the bios

but any ways most 8x agps are backwatds compatible, but then again some arnt so be sure on what you get,,

good luck on getting a great deal

If your system only has 4x, then there is a good chance you will need to update your board.

Most 4x boards only take 3.3v AGP cards, and I believe all newer cards are for 1.5v slots.

You might need to purchase a used card from ebay

Yes 8x is backwards comp with 4x, but the slots can be different

Edited by svasutin

Get the cheapest card that fits your needs. If you are planning on getting an new computer down the road, chances are you would be going to PCI-E. So there is no point in spending big bucks for an 8x AGP card that you can't use later on.

Edited by Gee