Win2K Does not support Games?

cancer10

My friend has installed windows 2000 Professional now he cannot run the following games:

1) Mortal Kombat 4

2) MotoRacer

it does not run on XP either but when he installs windows 98 it runs very well, is there anyway to make those games run on win2k and XP?

Thanx in advance :)

I agree with the above. If it won't run on XP it's even LESS likely it will run on 2000. Compatibility mode in XP is your best shot. Alternatively, if his system is fast enough, run VMWare and build a virtual Windows 98 machine that he can play the games on (although if they use direct3D at all he'll have to run them in software emulation mode...)

Jason

I agree with the above. If it won't run on XP it's even LESS likely it will run on 2000. Compatibility mode in XP is your best shot. Alternatively, if his system is fast enough, run VMWare and build a virtual Windows 98 machine that he can play the games on (although if they use direct3D at all he'll have to run them in software emulation mode...)

Jason

Not true at all, Windows 2000 can run any game XP can. Given the same level of patches they are virtually the same. Windows XP makes it slightly easier with retro games with it's enhanced compatibility options but that's about it. As for VMWare, Virtual PC also has some level of DirectX capability though I'm not sure exactly what this is.

Windows 2000 compatibility is enabled through the use of a shortcut to the .exe you wish to run. If the comp ability tab doesn't show for the properties of a shortcut you need to register slayerui.dll. Often you'll find that it's possible to get something running with the aid of official (or otherwise) patches, compatibility settings and running as an Admin. However, nothing is for certain :(

Entries in the db at www.ntcompatible.com is often a useful indication on what does/doesn't work.

Jason

Not true at all, Windows 2000 can run any game XP can. Given the same level of patches they are virtually the same. Windows XP makes it slightly easier with retro games with it's enhanced compatibility options but that's about it. As for VMWare, Virtual PC also has some level of DirectX capability though I'm not sure exactly what this is.

Windows 2000 compatibility is enabled through the use of a shortcut to the .exe you wish to run. If the comp ability tab doesn't show for the properties of a shortcut you need to register slayerui.dll. Often you'll find that it's possible to get something running with the aid of official (or otherwise) patches, compatibility settings and running as an Admin. However, nothing is for certain :(

Entries in the db at www.ntcompatible.com is often a useful indication on what does/doesn't work.

Actually there are a fair number of games that *won't* run on 2000 at all. Also, pretty much anything that makes significant use of DirectX will run *better* on XP than 2000. While there are certainly a few stragglers who hold onto the myth that 2000 is "the same as" or "better than" XP, the truth is that XP Professional is superior in every way, particularly now at SP2 level.

While it's also true that with some hacking/tweaking/fiddling you can get a lot of stuff that isn't *supposed* to run on 2000 to do so, one should ask: Why bother? It's not worth the hassle.

VMWare, as far as I'm aware, offers little to no DirectX compatibility. I haven't used VirtualPC, so I can't comment :)

Jason

Edited by JasonGW