Internet connection is dead, not ISP side issue

Messerschmitt

Hello.

I shall start how it happened and what is the problem.

At around 10 pm 28 June, outpost firewall reported "Malformed DNS request detected on port 53"

The ip was from my ISP.

After this, I lost all connections with the internet except with my program DC++ witch seemed to be able to continue downloading.

I said ok, a restart might be good.

After restart, when windows camed with the blue screen, "Windows is starting up" I noticed it takes wayyy longer than it was until then, when it changed to "Loading personal data" I would have been ready with all programs charged before. This loading personal data as well took extremely longer, like 20 seconds. In total = 30 seconds, a process witch would have taken maximum 5.

Then after "Loading personal data" was done the desktop apeared but effectively empty! I thought somthing realy rong happened, but after 15 seconds, the icon, taskbar and evrything apear and load. (Now outpost apears first in the taskbar).

This is happening now ever since, even when Im not connected (cable removed) to anything else. (network, internet).

Also all actions are lagging, if I open Firefox, it needs 5-10 seconds. If I move a file, needs 5-10 seconds, if I want to delete a file takes 5-10 seconds before its starting doing the action.

First I would like to know if anything can be done about the actual computer state.

After this happened I runed JV16 to remove bad registrys, I done RAV scans, I done spyware scans and evrything seems ok.

About the internet problem, I called my ISP. It seems that my ip have changed on the ethernet card and cannot acces it anymore. They told me that ad-aware from lava soft might have deleted a spyware (or somthing) and might cause all this, so I should also try on theyr forums.

When I try to renew the IP adress (the current IP adress, on witch the internet dosent work, and it is limmited or no connectivity is 169.xx....) because this obviosly isn't my true ip adress I get the following message witch the ISP told me that this is the reason that the internet connection problem is a computer side issue (and they are right since right now Im writing from my other computer connected directly to the modem witch usualy is connected with the computer in cause I am speaking right now about).

The error is whe you write ipconfig /renew in cmd is:

" A error occured while renewing interface "the name of local area": An opperation was attempted on something that is not a socket."

They said I should talk with microsoft or somthing about the socket problem but of course they will charge me quite much per evry issue. I don't have money to spend but as well, I realy don't want to format my C drive , I will lost very much data and optimization.

I don't know to who to ask for help, so here I am writing here hopping that some of you might have a solution ( I seen many good people here that know quite much about computers).

So please help me.

in order to fix your problem, you need to to do a search in microsoft support page for "reset TCP/IP" and "repair/ restore winsock" article by using command "netsh".

these articles will help you fix your current problem.

i'm at work and i downloaded and read these articles 2 days ago but i don't have them with me at this point.

if you can't find it, post your post here and i will reply :)

Edited by msfn11

Woo mate im screaming with joy :D:D:D

Its just incredible. Network problem, windows lagging and stuff all fixed with a simple command. reset.

As usualy the microsoft support page didn't helped almost at all, excepting finding the netsh command, and seeting the ? command for listing available command in the category.

Being very few I just thought reset might do it, and IT DID.

As for my personal knowledge, do you have any idea what exactely happened? And most especialy, why did all the computer effectively lagged the heck out of it, even when it was isolated?

As the rest, I must tell again thank you, I was 5 minutes away from a full format, witch would have taken me all day configuring it again plus looosing a heck load of information.

All the best.

No problem.I'm glad everything is going well and reading 2 above MS mentioned articles will give you the answer you look for.

I feel your pain about formating hard drive. I was in this kind of situation last month and i don't want to be in it again when you have zillion things installed in your computer.

it's a pain to go through the same process again. It's not a fun thing to do.

Its just incredible. Network problem, windows lagging and stuff all fixed with a simple command. reset.

As usualy the microsoft support page didn't helped almost at all, excepting finding the netsh command, and seeting the ? command for listing available command in the category.

would you mind posting the article you found or how you reset it? Unfortunately

I had a similar problem... had power outage Friday and messed up my network and gave me the lags symptoms you described. I unplugged my cable modem for a few minutes and that fixed internet access but now all my mapped drives no longer work and like i said ALL of my pcs are lagging bad @ startup. In the meantime, I plan on running an extensive adware/virus scan just to be sure.

<edit> forgot to mention i tried 'netsh /?' from cmd and there wasn't a 'reset' option. also tried 'reset' but couldn't figure out what to do. likewise 'netsh reset' & 'netsh /reset' only gave me errors :} i could reformat but except for my test pc it would be a major hassle/annoyance/pain in the ***</edit>

Edited by spiritpyre