Win2k Post SP4 Rollup

fdv

Hi, guys!

at my site (http://crowngold.narod.ru/mustdie.htm) I published a small table of comparasion.

Left column illustrates Update Rollup 1 - included package contents (link to KB article look at the beginning of this stream) and right one - list of updates that MUST HAVE (info from MS TechMet http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx).

Yellow background means that coloured patch is substituted and you can do not use it.

Could anyone explain me -- what`s a f*** is on the top of this table???

Warning:  This sp rollout sometimes will make you loose your mapped lan file server connections. Much like kbb885250. It might have that one embeded.

No might about it - it does have KB885250 (aka the bane of my existance).

KB895900 is supposed to fix what KB885250 broke, but for some unknown reason, Microsoft has yet to make this fix public.

Maybe it is a scam to get people to pay for $35 tech support calls. I gotta admit, I'm awfully tempted to give MS a call.

I wish I had the money to make a fraud case against them that updates is a real pain. I would think they would want that update to workfor there corp customers. Oh well.

• 9 months later...
Could you please specify the command to slipstream it into the source?

Windows2000-KB891861-x86-ENU.EXE /integrate:D:\Temp\2000

replace D:\Temp\2000 with where your W2KSP4 files live

If you are going to burn this to an ISO9660 CD you then need to fix the name of the update file and the svcpack.inf as by default it integrates with a long filename

e.g.

I renamed

D:\Temp\2000\I386\Update Rollup 1.exe

to

D:\Temp\2000\I386\KB891861.exe

and modified D:\Temp\2000\I386\svcpack.inf to reflect this change

[setupHotfixesToRun]

;Update Rollup 1.exe /q /n /z

KB891861.exe /q /n /z

I’m going real conservative (while, perhaps, messing around with the MS OEM package). I’m putting together a SP4 disk, and would like to integrate the post SP4 RU v2. I’m using WinISO, so I’ll create an ISO from the original CD, and then replace all the files and folders, and save the ISO. The goal is to slip the RU v2 in there prior to the ISO creation.

Going this conservative route, will I run into any problems with the slipped/integrated post SP4 RU v2? Besides the added OEM drivers, I’m not going to alter anything.

When I got cute with nLite, I ran into IE problems. When I manually slipped the RU v2, it looked good (I got a success indication), but IE (5.01) was messed up, and updating to IE6 didn’t fix the problem. But, it could have been another issue…

I guess the question is this: Given the setup, can the post SP4 RU v2 be slipped into Win2K SP4 (by itself)? I plan to manually slip the RU v2. Do I still need to fix the name of the update file and the svcpack.inf as by default it integrates with a long filename? Thanks

Yes, you can slipstream the 2k rollup. HFSLIP has been doing the 2k rollup for quite some time.

Tommy, I know you guys are doing it with HFSLIP. If you're not using HFSLIP, can you simply do it manually with a simple /s or /integrate command? No problem, right?

I'm a little skittish after my nLite try - and it might have been the issue.

If you're not using HFSLIP, can you simply do it manually with a simple /s or /integrate command? No problem, right?

The "integrate" command doesn't really slipstream it. Integrate just automates the modifcation/creation of the svcpack.inf so that the rollup exe file executes during svcpack.