[DIALUP] Does anyone know how to make it work ?

yanguy

Hi all,

I work for a company which want to use Windows PE for one of their product. But in order to work, this solution needs to have a Remote connection based on the RAS (Remote Access Service) from Windows. But in Windows PE, this service is not implemented.

I know that with BartPE and UBCD comes a plugin which allows dialup networking. I tried to convert this plugin for Windows PE but with no success. Does anyone know how to make the dialup networking work ?? if so, could you post the way you made it ??

Thanks in advance.

PS : if you are interested in the way that i tried to convert the BartPE plugin for Windows PE, post here.

I can't give you a real solution but maybe these pieces of information help you.

The whole network service stuff is started by svchost -k netsvcs. This command starts all services which are listed in HKLM\Software\MS\Windows NT\svchost -> netsvcs by looking into the registry entry of each service in HKLM\System\CCS\Services\<service>\parameters -> ServiceDll.

Thus you need to add these entries to the registry, and, of course, the dlls. I'd add all dlls which are listed in the service hive of the services you want/need to run.

I would advice you to add the following services to your winpe in order to add network support:

• RasMan, Rasauto, DHCP

• LanmanWorkstation, LanmanServer, Dnscache

• Netman, NLA, PlugPlay

• RpcSS, LmHosts, TermService

Your next problem will be the network adapter, I guess. But currently I have no clue about it, I'm afraid.

Hope that helped a bit.

Thanks a lot dude !

I watched a little bit closer to the bartpe's plugin. And apparently it does some of the things you mentionned. It writes a lot of entries in the registry and move some files.

Then we can start all this services with a little .bat file.

Unluckly, it does not work really well. Most of the services are launched except one during the operation

netcfg -l %Systemroot%\inf\netrass.inf -c s -i MS_RASCLI

But then when i try to use the rasphone utility

rasphone -f path_to_phonebook

everything goes well until the "opening ports" step .....

It seems the i can't acces to my modem through COM objects. Do i have to add a plugin for the COM ports ??

Edited by yanguy

Apparently, thoses services are natively implemented in Windows PE :

DHCP, LmHost,Tcpip,Messenger,browser,netman,nla,rpclocator
So i'm trying to get the next services to work on the LiveCD :
rasman,tapisrv,lanmanserver.

But apparently you also need

swenum,serenum,serial and asyncmac

I have a made a quite long registry files (ras.reg) for thoses services. As soon as i am not far away to get it working, i'll post another post with explanations.

If on your side you have news, let's share.

Thanks again.

HI again, i have made some progress since i only have one error left, during the installation of the RAS client. the code is :

netcfg -l %systemroot%\inf\netrass.inf -c s -i MS_RASCLI

and i still have the code error

Failed : error code : 0x77bed188
I also discovered that, when you launch a connection with the rasphone utility, it creates a network adapter called :

RAS Async Adapter.

But unluckly it seems that it's not correctly configured (with the help of the updatedevices tool).

Here is the list of the service that are correcty launched :

tapisrv,lanmanserver,rasman,swenum,serenum,serial,asyncmac

It seems that i have the problem you mentionned : the network card created during the RAS processus seems not to be correctly configured.

When i use the "updatedevices" tool, i can see that this card is not correctly configured.

It aks me to reinstall the drivers ..... :lol:

If you have any informations on that, that would be cool to get them.