Longhorn...backwards support

aktivedesign

What sort of spec is longhorn going to require....?

When XP was released top end computers were what? about 1.5Ghz and it ran on 233Mhz....in fact i have run XP on 200Mhz and it was better than 98!

But, what sort of hardware is longhorn going to support......only brand new stuff? Also will it be 64bit only? Is 32 bit going to die on its release?

And lastly, what about backwards compatibility with software? M$ pretty much managed it with XP.....but it sounds like Longhorn is to xp like xp was to 98.......or am i wrong?

Thanks in advance! :D

Edited by aktivedesign

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,...,1790569,00.asp

For Longhorn PCs that are customized for "living-room scenarios," Russell suggested PC makers strongly consider optimizing around 64-bit, dual-core processors. He also said dual-channel memory; a minimum of 1 GB of memory; and a high-performance and capacity disk drive (averaging 3000 GB-plus)would all be nice to have.

"Longhorn will provide an absolutely fabulous gaming experience," Russell told WinHEC attendees. In order to be able to take the fullest advantage of Longhorn as a gaming platform, Russell suggested PC makers gravitate toward 64-bit dual-core processors, 1 GB of memory, 256 MB of graphics memory and advanced LDDM support.

• 2 weeks later...

All I want is a barebones OS. With proper networking, proper security, proper looking GUI and the ability to run any softwares. I dont need hogs running on my computers thank you very much. I think a lot of people are simply going to move to Linux...when Longhorn rolls out...it is improving like crazy and has all the transparency and 3d features already in development for Linux...it is free and the only gripe is gaming...well dual boot XP. XP has been reduced from a hog to a lightweight...I really wish Longhorn can be tweaked down as well....waaaaaaaaaaaaay tweaked down.