How can I create a bi-weekly reminder?

I've been noticing that after I setup user's systems and explain to them the importance of updating Norton Anti-virus as well as Ad-Aware and Microsoft Anti-spyware and to do weekly or bi-weekly scans, that they NEVER do! 3 months later, they will complain that they got a virus or are infected with spyware and when I check to see the last time they updated or did a scan, I find that it was the date that I initially did it.

So I'm trying to figure out some way to have a reminder pop up on their screen every two weeks to remind them to LiveUpdate/ Webupdate all the programs as well as do a full system scan. What would be really slick is to somehow have a checker routine to check the last update date for each of those programs as well as the last date of a full scan and if it isn't current, how that message keep popping up till they complete the tasks. I was thinking of maybe utilizing the LegalNoticeCaption in Winlogon of the registry where the checker routine can either add the reminder message or remove it. The only problem I can see with this whole thing is that it may trigger Norton or Microsoft Anti-spyware if it's a script trying to run.

Any ideas on this??

Here's sort of an example of what I want to create. Of course this isn't an actual working script, but simply shows the logic of the check routine:

REM ** CHECK ROUTINE **

REM *

REM ** Check NAV2005 Status **

If FullSystemScan_Date >= 2weeks from current date then goto MSG

IF VirusDefinitions >= 2 weeks from current date then goto MSG

REM *

REM * Check Ad-Aware Status *

IF LastScan_Date >= 2weeks from current date then goto MSG

IF Definition File date >= 2weeks from current date then goto MSG

REM *

REM * Check Microsoft Anti-spyware Status *

IF LastScan_Date >= 2weeks from current date then goto MSG

IF Definition File date >= 2weeks from current date then goto MSG

:ClearMSG

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Current Version\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

LegalNoticeCaption=""

LegalNoticeText=""

EXIT

:MSG

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Current Version\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

LegalNoticeCaption="IMPORTANT REMINDER"

LegalNoticeText="It appears that one or more of your Anti-Spyware/Anti-Virus applications is either not up to date or you have NOT done a full system scan in a while. You must run Live update/Web update for each of the applications as well as do a full system scan. Once completed, this message will no longer appear."

EXIT

Are these users on a network (i.e. Domain)??? or are they individual computers (i.e. home users)??

Are you setting up the AV software and the Anti-Spyware software??

If they are on a domain, setup a AV server to push out the updates.

If no domain, setup the live update settings as best you can, since you can't lock it out, and hope for the best.

As BrandonS Mil noted, for home users, you can set up both Symantec Antivirus (or AVG Free, which I use) and Microsoft AntiSpyware to automatically update on a schedule during the initial install. Real-time protection takes care of the nasties, mostly. You can also configure both--either through the program interface or registry import--to run scans on a schedule of your choosing at that time.

This arrangement works well for me, been awhile since I've received any calls about hosed machines (I mostly credit Microsoft AnitSpyware for that). I find that users are pretty good about letting the proggies run their scans and then walking through the removal process when problems are found. Both the programs and the users are getting more sophisticated, knock wood. :P

OK, that is true that Norton AntiVirus and Microsoft AntiSpyware both can update them selves automatically assuming the user has a consistant internet connection like DSL/Cable and leaves there computer on like I do. But it seems for dial-up users and those that always shut down their computer when they are done with something, this does not apply. People see the message saying that their definitions are out of date and click on the "Remind me in xx days" button rather then update. I know it is their fault, but hopefully a continued reminder will force them to "obey"...

Norton AV defaults to a virus Scan on Friday's at 8pm and Microsoft Antispyware at 2am. I wish all the users had their systems on at those times and it would not be a problem, but most people think that they are supposed to shut down the computer as soon as they are done with something as though they are wasting electricity otherwise. Maybe it's just a loosing battle trying to get these people to conform!

Hi,

Norton AV defaults to a virus Scan on Friday's at 8pm and Microsoft Antispyware at 2am.

Well use the relevent settings in these Applications GUI to set the update and scan times to something more relevent for each user.

This isn't rocket science you know! :lol:

Kind Regards

Simon

Hi,

Well use the relevent settings in these Applications GUI to set the update and scan times to something more relevent for each user.

This isn't rocket science you know!  :lol:

I realize I can alter the scan times, but it's hard to predict when the user will have his/her computer on. I kind of like the idea of a "Nag" message that will go away once they have done what they have been instructed to do. Kind of like a reward system. Comply and no nag. Don't comply and you will continue to get the "nag".

I have created two registry files (one that contains LegalNoticeText and one that has LegalNoticeText blanked out), now It's just a matter of coming up with a check routine to toggle between the two .reg entries. Or if I have to, a schedule to toggle these two every two weeks.

I kinda like the nag thing too....

Do you think we could make it also nag a person before they post to actually read what is said, comprehend, understand, soak in, then speak?????

Case in point......

Hi,

Norton AV defaults to a virus Scan on Friday's at 8pm and Microsoft Antispyware at 2am.

This isn't rocket science you know! laugh.gif

Kind Regards

Simon

Sorry but the "DEFAULTS" word jump out like a sore thumb.....

@Thinkster Yes, I take it back, I just looked at a client's machine today, one of a handful on dial-up, and they had not updated Norton in over 4 months (>8MB of fresh definitions to install!). Unlike a Cable or DSL connection, the auto-update had not done its job at all despite being scheduled daily at prime usage time. They'd also neglected to let Windows do it's job and install the already downloaded critical updates (that yellow shield was a mystery).

So, short of a boot in the butt, I like your idea of a nag. Maybe on systems like this the Task Scheduler, as smashly suggested, is a good candidate. I can envision an AutoIt script near the end of the install that prompts you whether to set up the task scheduler, would fit nicely with my "Rename Machine" schtick, which also runs at the end.

Simpler solutions?

Edit: Asta, can you elaborate on your "outlook or "post it" program for computers" suggestion? Appreciated.

Edited by blinkdt

Just use task scheduler. Not that hard. Jeez.

Try using AutoIT, since then you could have a popup and whatnot.

You can somehow impliment it into their web browser so that the script would only run when they open up their browser (or try to go online, rather). That is, if you think you're savvy enough to do it. :)

If it were ME trying to do this, I would have the script start whenever they start their computer, where it would check the date and determine whether or not they need to update. To make it do that for any user, you can have it store the info in the HKCU using cmdlines.txt or you can put it in in HKLM. Personally, I'd go with HKCU during cmdlines.txt:

REG ADD "HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "Shortcuts" /d "%SystemDrive%\\CheckDefs.exe" /f

Meh. I know I'm probably just telling you something already know ... but I figured I'd put in my 2cents anyway.

@Thinkster Yes, I take it back, I just looked at a client's machine today, one of a handful on dial-up, and they had not updated Norton in over 4 months (>8MB of fresh definitions to install!). Unlike a Cable or DSL connection, the auto-update had not done its job at all despite being scheduled daily at prime usage time. They'd also neglected to let Windows do it's job and install the already downloaded critical updates (that yellow shield was a mystery).

Exactly! There are still many dial-up users out there and even though I have instructed them initially to do weekly live updates and scans, 9 out of 10 of them DONT! nor have they done so in months. And same with the yellow shield, they simply close out the message thing saying updates are downloaded and ready to apply. I guess these same kind of people also never do oil changes on there car and ignore that yellow 'check engine' light that's on for no paticular reason as far as they are concerned.