SP2 bootscreen replace

poster

i made a picture and i used inno logo to create the xLoad.exe which is working as a boot screen. i even renamed xload.exe to ntoskrnl.exe and on my computers it works excellent. i tried to put the ntoskrnl.exe in $OEM$\$$\System32 and after the first restart at the beginning it worked but when it reached the Copying files... stage the computer crashed..

after that i tried to place it in $OEM$\$1 and during the setup it copies (as i have made .cmd file which applies updates and replaces system files like shell32.dll, etc.). the install finishes and the computer boots for the first time and during the loading where my boot screen appears it crashes.. how should i copy it or what should i do to make it work properly

my cpu is multiprocessor and i am using virtual pc 2004 (don't tell me to use vmware it is too heavy even for my p4 2,6ghz HT cpu with 512mb ram)

i saw some things about multiprocessor computers and a virtual pc which is actually a single-processor one and maybe that's the problem but i want to make the boot screen appear on every kind of pc as i am distributing my version of windows and almost all of my friends use it

thanks in advance

Edited by poster

i tried to replace it during the first startup and there was no problems with the OS until i rebooted as it crashed in the same place (during the booting where my new boot screen appears) the has to be something wrong in my boot screen i'm changing ntoskrnl.exe but the virtual machine is single-processored so there is another file maybe ntkrnlpa.exe but if a single processoros pc is using ntkrnlpa.exe and if i change ntoskrnl.exe it should not appear at all but i see it and it crashes..... helllpppppppppppppp

if i open a cmd and type makecab ntoskrnl.exe, and i copy ntoskrnl.exe and ntoskrnl.cab in the i386 folder wold that be ok?

EDIT: i know 5 different ways of replacing the bootscreen but this boot screen doesn't work normally on the virtual machine maybe because it's single processosor, but my pc is multiprocessosor maybe i have to change another file

Edited by poster

10x for your help i read that and i did what it says within hours i'll be testing it. is it a problem if the batch file contains another things after the replacing thing and i don't understand why should i put the files in $$ but not in $$\System32

it worked but know when i look in the boot.ini i have 2 thing the first one is my version the second one says Windows XP professional? how do i edit the batch script to delete the second line

I would suggest leaving that line incase for some reason the new kernel fails...it's there soley for backup reasons. You can change the description however by editing

bootcfg /copy /D "Windows XP Professional" /ID 1

and replacing the quoted text with what you want.

i did that but if you have 3 or 4 different versions of wndows on one computer it is a bit of confusing, so i thought of just adding my line and removing the other or just editing it. what are the chances for the new kernel to fail?

i did that but if you have 3 or 4 different versions of wndows on one computer it is a bit of confusing, so i thought of just adding my line and removing the other or just editing it. what are the chances for the new kernel to fail?

very few if done properly.

just open up a command prompt, and type: bootcfg /? to see what all you can do.

i googled a few minutes ago and i did it just the way you're telling me :) now i'm testing to see what will happen

after setting my new entry as a default one the original Windows XP Professional goes 2nd and at the end i simply add bootcfg /delete /id 2

well i know that my single processsor kernel is working and i know that about my MP kernel because i'm using it.. and of course the batch script for changing it is correct because someone else did it , not me :P

Edited by poster