restoring a corrupt registry value from another HD

while removing a few keys in my registry i foolishly added quotations around a value in the registry of my 2nd pc.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Software\Microsoft\Win dows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

the true value is:

Userinit = C:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe,

i did this:

Userinit = "C:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe,"

now when rebooting my pc it continues to try and load my personal settings over and over without success.

i know exactly what i need to change/remove but i'm not sure how or even IF i can gain access to the registry from the other hard drive to edit this value on the pc i am currently writing this message on.

is it possible to access the "Software, Software.log, Software.sav" files from the corrupt registry and view/edit them through regedit on my current pc, then replace?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Yes it's possible.

What you do is that you open up regedit on another computer. And on the registry menu chose Load Hive, and then load the problematic hive.

From there you can access the registry key.

If you cannot logon, I don't think you can directly access remote registry from another PC via network.

You can do this quite easily if you have a dual boot system and load the registry hive from the OS you can successfully logon.

Alternately, temporarily transfer the HD to another PC as slave and load hive.

If you have XP or 2003 (which doesn't seem to be case here), then MS WinPE should also be another option. It comes with regedit.exe and you can load the reg hive from the local computer.

Edited by Takeshi

• 1 month later...

The PC doesnt need to be logged on to access the registry remotely. Infact.. if you are trying to load a userprofile hive then you dont want the user to log on.. As long as the remote registry service is turned on and you have administrative rights on the machine you can access the registry remotely..

How to do this:

Open regedit on the other machine

Click-> File -> Connect Network Registry

Type in the computer name and go from ther

As for you MadGutts

Open Regedit

Select HKEY_Users so that it is highlighted

Select File -> Load Hive

It will prompt you for a name.. this can be anything.. name it anythign you like.

Edit it from there and select File -> Unload Hive when you are done

NOTE: This only works on an XP Pro Machine to my knowledge.. I have never tried it on any other, cant remember off hand it it is possible on another OS

Edited by chilifrei64