Sometimes NVidia display driver fails to load

oam

This is a weird problem! I hope someone has an idea :)

Sometimes, occasionally the nvidia display driver and the monitor driver fail to load at XP bootup. Windows gives me my resolution (1280x1024) but with 60Hz refresh rate only. If I check display properties there is "Default monitor on _____" and empty fields in the Adapter tab. Sometimes a reboot helps, sometims a cold boot.

It is really annoying, so I'm wondering what should I look to solve this? I did a comlete reinstall 1 month ago, but same happened before it. I can't pinpoint when this started, but it was after getting this gfx card and maybe 1-2 driver sets ago.

Setup:

- Geforce 6800LE AGP

- Nvidia WHQL 71.89 drivers

- Nforce2 mainboard

- Slipstreamed XP SP2 install done with nLite (including drivers)

may be the Slipstreamed XP that you had done :unsure:

i'd tried before slipstreaming and it caused problems in the setup

as i have no experience in nlite !!

did you experience the same problem with original XP ?

I have a similar problem. I have an NVIDA FX 5900 and it insists on installing a second Default Monitor even though I only have one monitor. This Default Monitor is completely useless and takes significant time to enumerate at boot up. Furthermore, I can try to force the NVIDIA card to act like a second monitor, even turning on the flag that says it's a hard-to-detect TV, but the extra desktop space is still completely inaccessible and unusable. Is there any way to remove the Default Monitor for good?