Disabling Windows Tour for current user

I have a little problem with disabling Windows Tour for default user, i.e., Administrator, since I'm skipping the OOBE part (UnattendSwitch=Yes).

I have the following in WINNT.SIF:

[GuiRunOnce]
"rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection usrConfigure 128 %windir%\inf\Configure.inf"

And Configure.inf:

[usrConfigure]
AddReg = TourWarning.Disable

[TourWarning.Disable]
HKCU,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour,RunCount,0x10001,0

When logging on the first time, annoying Windows Tour notification is shown on taskbar. Why? Notice I only want to disable the Tour for Administrator, not for all users.

Please, give me an advice. TIA.

Disable Windows Tour

Registry Tweak

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour]"RunCount"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour]

"RunCount"=dword:00000000

Edited by TheeBeets

Thanks for replying. But, I ONLY want to disable it for the Administrator account, not for all users. I know this is possible, because the HKCU key is changed when the tour is visited (observed with RegEdit).

Edited by ponghy

I'm not as knowledgeable as most on here, but maybe you could just use the current user key. I believe there is a first login option for the administrator account after your install. You could run it at that time. I hope that helps.

have you tried using utilities like RegShot / InstallRite / RegMon to monitor the changes when you you set this up normally (no tweak... aka you deal with the tour once and it automatically turns itself off) and comparing what has changed?

If so perhaps to could post the RegShot compare file (using CODEBOX and /CODEBOX tags) and those more knowledge could help pick through it or poss. offer advice?

Edited by spiritpyre

It looks like you are applying the tweak while the user logs in. Do you do a restart afterwards. I would assume a logoff/login would fix it.

Some programs look for keys, then load the programs on login. If you overwrite those keys, the program is still running. Since run/runonce/runonceex all run at login, I would say the program is already up and running. Easiest fix would be log off, and log back on after applying the tweak.

If it sticks around, then I suggest you just do a removal of the tour for all users. If you are only trying to remove it for one user, it seems kinda pointless to make a regkey for it, when you could just close it, and never see it again.