Systematic BSOD during Win2003 SP1 Setup

Hi,

I am running into a quite strange problem that I can't seem to find a solution to...

I have an unattended DVD with many programs and drivers: I use it on my four computers (office desktop+office laptop / home desktop+personal laptop).

I upgraded my dvd to Windows Server 2003 SP1 a few weeks after it had been released and I had no problems on three computers out of 4 whatsoever...

But, I didn't had a chance to reformat my office desktop because it wasn't the proper time for that, but today, I decided to reformat since the system was getting crappy...

I did as usual, booting from the DVD, Windows Text Mode installation started, I deleted my C: partition, recreated it as usual and Windows started to copy its file (still in text mode as usual).

Then it rebooted, and when the setup is booting to its second stage (the graphical one), I got a BSOD:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL etc... sometimes it changes and sometimes things looks like they are going really badly since the BSOD doesn't even print out completely (some lines at the end are missing).

Booting into safe mode didn't even work !

I tried fresh reinstalls several times but with always the same results.

First thing I did was to update the aging Bios by a newer one (A01->A07), but it didn't solve anything...

I then tried to burn Win2003 SP1 to a cd (without the drivers directory used by the unattended installation : so it had only windows integrated drivers), because I thought some driver could cause that problem... unfortunately, it didn't work either...

Reinstalling Win2003 without SP1 is working flawlessly, but there is no reason for it to work without it since all my computers accepted it !!! No discrimination : SP1 for everyone, I say ! And I really don't want to maintain two versions of my DVD !

Here are the specs for that PC:

Dell Dimension 8300

P4 HT 3.06 GHz

1 GB

2*120 GB SATA HDD

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (<- I am wondering if it isn't the culprit : ATI isn't the most stable/conflict-free manufacturer, to say the least)

Creative Audigy

Intel Pro 100 VE Network Card

Any idea would be really welcome...

Thanks a lot !

hmm.. hi there. i got similiar problem back over a year ago.. but in my case was with winxp installation. what i do was, i reposition the RAMs, (changing slots with each others) and after that the installation went well. also in other cases i came across with, i reburn the entire dvd/cd with different media brand and also after that the installation went smoothly as silk.

hope thats help. sorry no technical explaination for what i did, tho i hope to find one soon. :)

Guys,

Thanks for the input,

I did what you both said (MemTest found no problems, but I stopped it after the first pass because it is very long), and even removed the sound card, replaced the graphics card by an Nvidia one but the problem is still there !

My chipset is Intel i875P, if that helps...

I don't have any other idea anymore...

Edited by Readiosys