Backing up Group Policies

SureKen

Hi, I need to back up the settings I've changed with "gpedit.msc". I've found out that if I backup the whole \system32\GroupPolicy\ folder I can easily restore it when I format and reinstall XP.

In that folder there are 3 subfolders and a .ini file:

- \Adm (1.58MB)

- \Machine (empty)

- \User (6KB)

- gpt.ini

Do I need to backup all the folders and the ini or maybe just the Adm folder? Thanks. :)

Backing Up a GPO

One new major improvement to Group Policy management offers the ability to back-up (or export) the Group Policy data to a file. Using the backup functionality of the GPMC, any policy can be tested in a lab environment and then exported to a file for deployment in the production domain. You can import a backed up GPO created within a different domain, across a forest domain (even where no trusts have been formed), or within the same domain as it was created.

When backing up Group Policy, you back up only data specific to that GPO itself. Other Active Directory objects that can be linked to GPOs, such as individual WMI filters and TCP/IP security policies, are not backed up, because of complications with restores when working with these specific areas. When backup is completed, you can restore the Group Policy data in the same location, restoring proper functionality to mis-configured and accidentally deleted group policies.

A newly created GPO is linked by default to the site, domain, or organizational unit that you select when you create the Group Policy Object, and its settings apply to that site, domain, or organizational unit. If you want to unlink the GPO from that site, domain, or organizational unit, you will want to back it up first prior to deleting it.

1. In GPMC, right-click the GPO name, then from the popup, select Back Up.

2. In the Back Up Group Policy Object dialog box, under Location, choose a secure, non-system location—someplace where your GPO file will play no role, accidentally, in the setup of your operating system.

3. Under Description, enter a passage that describes how best your GPO may be re-used in a future situation.

4. Click Backup. Momentarily, the Backup dialog box will display the progress of the operation. Click OK when it's completed.