IE6 Do I need it?

Very strange... I tryed to post the results of my experiment yesterday but it is not here...

Well, repeting that.

I installed W2k SP4 on Virtual PC with fdv's 2nd files set and with his msoe50.inf There is also the program Network Stumbler installed automatically through cmdlines.txt/appz.cmd wich opens a CHM file at the end of installation.

During the installation there were two errors:

1. One file is missing - iernonece.exe (?). There is probably a mistake in the name of the file, maybe in msoe50.inf, I didn't check it yet.

2. "No program on your system is registered to handle HTML files. The help page cannot be opened."

The CHM file opened before the second error window.

After the installation the Outlook Express is not on the system, there is no such file shdoclc.dll and all helps and chm-files can be opened.

And I didn't found IE also. If you give me the list of files I should check I can do it today.

And one question as always :)

I uncommented the line with msoe50.inf in syssetup.inf, there is also the line with wab.inf. I didn't uncommented it, should I?

Best regards,

Oleg 2

Edited by Oleg_II

Oleg2 you should not be getting this error; ierunonce should be on the install cd!

it is pretty important that it runs, actually.

if an inf file runs into an error, it halts and nothing is done, so one little error means oe will not install.

try downloading the file onto your desktop of your finished installation and right-clicking and selecting "install." it should ask you for your windows cd, and read all of the files needed. there is something odd going on b/c i created this inf a while back for nlite users, and never had any reported problems with it...

if your right-clicking-selecting-install does not work, pm me the error message and i'll see if i can't create a modded inf for you. strange though that it does not work...

uncommenting wab.inf is not necessary; the wab is written into the msoe installer.

chm files... yeah, without ie and ie core, html help won't really work. i hate to say it but i have left this alone because so few people ever need help (i know that's a rotten attitude but there you have it, we prefer a system without any html display functonality unless its a third party browser) :P

@fdv

Thank you very much for support. I'm back home and have some time to look at my installations.

I was wrong - OE is on my system, but not propely registered (ierunonce.dll should be uncommented in txtsetup.sif too :) I've already reinstalled W2k and it's working.

And chms are working also :) There is no shdoclc.dll on all three of my installations (two on Virtual PC and one on my home real computer). No sign of IE but I maybe wrong?

And there are a few more questions came up after all experiments:

- The link to OE after the installation is in Accessories cection. The new one (link) appears in Programs section after starting OE. Where in your files I can get rid off it?

- I tried to change "dosprompt here" to "Command prompt here" in ie.inf but it appears as it was before changing. Where I should change it to my liking? And add some more tweaks ;)

- dll-files may be registered now through right click but it doesn't work for me: LoadLibrary("....avisynth.dllHKCR") failed - the specified module could not be found.

- I use your files to turn off Windows Protection System. Could it be turned on again when I need it?

- Is there some place I can read and ask people about software they are using on systems without IE (I found one more program that apears to have problems functioning - NanDub but maybe it all me :) And I found a good replacement to Quick launch (more exectly to Start menu) that is not resource consumpting and very convinient to use - Hidden Menu.

Best regards,

Oleg 2