LCD Viewing Angle

grafx1

Hi,

In the ViewSonic LCD Specs. :

Viewing Angle 140° horizontal, 140° vertical (at 10:1),

160° horizontal, 160° vertical (at 5:1),

what's the meaning of 10:1 5:1 ?

and if it is a screen settings, how can i set it ?

Thanks.

Looks like Contrast settings to me: 10:1 is 10%, 1:5 (normal) is like 50%, but the problem is that you can’t talk about % because it’s not linear.

Not sure about what I said, but I tried ;).

I'm not too sure about the contrast values... usually those are on the order of 400:1 or more.

The big factors that you want to look at when considering LCD displays are:

Resolution (given in something like 1280x1024)

Contrast Ratio (given in the form 400:1)

Brightness (something like 300 cd/m^2)

Since you're usually sitting in front of your monitor, viewing angle isn't that big of a deal, unless you often look at pictures with others sitting beside you.

Can you give us a link to the specs page that you're referring to?

One thing to make absolutely sure of is to get some kind of extra warranty regarding dead pixels. Most manufacturers require 8-12 dead pixels before they will replace the LCD. At some stores, you can pay an extra fee and get a no-dead-pixel warranty for 30 days. With that, you're pretty much guaranteed a perfect monitor.

Hope this helps.

I'm not too sure about the contrast values... usually those are on the order of 400:1 or more.

Yes, that’s the Contrast Ratio, but I’m talking about the contrast setting of the screen in combination with image on the screen.

Any way, I would not think to much about it, Viewsonic seems to have the best TFT-TVs in the 25-32" range. TFT monitors are also good but I prefer Samsung for the price. All my screens are from them, working now for almost night and day. None of them had a defect for now and I’m talking about 1 year and 6 months. Just one has a half dead pixel.

;)

Yes, that’s the Contrast Ratio, but I’m talking about the contrast setting of the screen in combination with image on the screen.

You're talking about the various levels of contrast that you can set? Like a 5/10 point slider bar (or similar)? That might make sense...

Yeah, we've got Viewsonic LCD monitors here at work (at least in the lab) and they're pretty phenomenal. Really crisp displays (even connected through VGA) and decent response times (no blurring). Can't go wrong there.