Batch script for winnt.sif

Okey Guys!

This might sound like one crazy idea, but I came to think about just now, and I haven't thought long about it, but I'll throw it out in the air anyway! :D

I have been using nLite lately in order to get the perfect OS (not that it's really possible :P), and have therefore also been using unnatended running of the CD so that I can just throw into the CD-ROM and then go take a nap while it install everythig as I like it to be.

Now, in my house there is more than one computer, and I'm thinking of using this CD to install and setup everything on the computers without having to do it manually. Only prob with the CD is that it will make the same usernames, passwords etc for all the computers since they all install from same CD (meaning they will also all be using same windows key, which isn't good).

Now, of course I can just edit the winnt.sif file making x different copies of it with x different winnt.sif containing x different usernames, passwords bla bla bla.

But I find that a bit of an overkill (both to my DVD recorder and to my CD collection) :D

My question os: Is there any way it's possible to use more than one WINNT.sif file for a CD. Thinking of somekind of DOS menu where you could choose which .sif file you want to use for that particular installation.

That way I would save alot of CDs, as I just need to have all the .sif files placed on the CD (with different names).

Now, I know that the .sif file on windows CD must be placed in the i386 directory, having tha name WINNT.sif or else it will fail.

My question is anyway: Is it possible? Is there any way we can do this on? Or is it completely impossible?

The word (or machine) is yours! :P

Cheers!

Genex,

OK, first of all, you can name your WINNT.SIF file anything you like, and place it anywhere you like, as long as both the filename and path are stated as parameters when you call WINNT (at least this works out of DOS):

ECHO.
ECHO Starting Windows XP Setup...
ECHO.
@d:\Install\WinXP\i386\winnt /s:d:\Install\WinXP\i386 /u:d:\batfiles\XPAPPS.sif

As you can see from one of my scripts above, I renamed WINNT.SIF and placed it in a custom folder, which is called in the /u: parameter, and seperately, named the path to the install files with the /s: parameter.

Secondly: if you wish to create your own WINNT.SIF file on the fly, it could be done in DOS prior to the calling of WINNT. Let's say, for instance, you wanted to specify the activation key for an install. You could use a DOS batch file to capture the key, then write it into a SIF file.

I don't have the exact code on hand, but here how it could work, from a logic standpoint:

1. Split your WINNT.SIF file right at the point where your key is written (without the key itself) and save them as two different files SIF1.txt and SIF2.txt.

2. Call a batch file to ask for the user's key, with a small DOS utility to capture the input as a variable (I use INPUT.COM - do a search).

3. Use DOS command to write the first part, the key variable, and the second part into a SIF file, then call WINNT with the path to the SIF file.

Good luck,

JP

For this purposes I use WBAT - it will boot to menu, where one of options is Standart (it will be fully automatic, taking configuration from network), the second is Special, where you will see settings on one screen and you can change what you want... So you use values like **REPLACE_USER** in winnt.sif and then search&replace this value

One way I've been looking at is to have as much as possible on the floppy, then either have multiple floppies, or perhaps a menu. (from a purist point of view a menu would mean it's no longer unattended.) A simple DOS unzip with overwrite could recreate the files for individual users on a single floppy.

So far I have 'generic' CD with hotfixes and any applications that I may want, plus 'RunOnceEx.cmd', 'Cleanup.cmd' etc. which simply call a command file on the floppy. Within these files on the floppy the application is installed from the CD, but any .REG files are stored and referenced from the floppy. This way I have one CD, and a floppy tailored for individuals in the family.

The only thing I haven't worked out yet is different user names using OOBE, however there is a batch alternative so I should be able to point that at the floppy and store the name there.

(Bear in mind I'm new to this, more experienced users may have better ideas)