Make a MSI file

Che0ps

Just want to know if there is one in here there is good at making MSI files ? because i need a MSI file to Nero, and some other programs, so just want to know how i can make it as easy as posible.. is there a tool for converting a exe file to MSI, and what do i do if there is a lot of Dll files along with the exe file ?

-Che0ps-

No there is no software that converts an exe installer to an msi. You have to build it manually, and it's not that easy. Especially if you want to make a nero msi. You have to know how your software works, the files it installs, registry entries, components, etc. Why do you have to make an msi for that if you can install it silently using the original installer?

:)

While you cannot readily convert an .exe to a .msi, MS gives you a free utility WinInstallLE that will allow you to create a snapshot of the installation process that records files, registry settings etc. that are installed and then will create an .msi file to use.

You might want to try that and see if it works for you. Other commercial packaging products from Wise and Macrovision (Installshield) can do the same thing but are more robust and customizable.

Check out www.appdeploy.com. It is a fairly useful site for packaging etc.

Good luck.

I've been making an msi installer for Nero/NeroVision for quite a while now. I combine the two products into one installer, but I strip out all the superflous garbage like Photosnap, CD Cover Desginer, etc. I DO leave in the three little Nero tools which I find pretty handy.

It's not that easy of package to make in comparison to some other repacks I do. I use AdminStudio to do it and I use the two part snapshot method. You then have to go through the entire registry file and clean it up before building the msi. At the moment I'm two versions behind. I usually wait and make a new package every other version because it is rather time consuming to make.

Okay.. thanks for the info, i have used InstallShield and WinINSTALL LE, but i coudnt find the snapshot thing in WinINSTALL LE, and i think thats the discover i shall use, but im not shure..

the reason why i shall make it in a MSI file is that i need to role it out from my Active Directory..

the reason why i shall make it in a MSI file is that i need to role it out from my Active Directory..

That's one of the reasons that I always repack to msi too, but I also find that taking the msi and making AIP and then taking the AIP and making a 7z switchless silent installer yields the smallest file sizes for when you're installing from media.

One thing you need to keep in mind when repacking Nero or some other CD burning software is that there will more than likely be registry entries made that specify the CD Burner. In the case of VMware it shows up as a NEC drive. You need to eliminate those reg entries before you compile your msi file. In fact I always thoroughly inspect the registry entries of every application I'm repacking prior to compiling. You'd be surprised what you find in there. Sometimes there are things that definately need to come out, other times there are a lot of completely useless entries having nothing to do with the software at all.